General Question

kelly's avatar

If both spouses are doctors, what is the proper way to address a formal invitiation to, say, a wedding?

Asked by kelly (1908points) January 10th, 2008

is it Dr.and Dr. Smith?

Observing members: 0 Composing members: 0

8 Answers

sdeutsch's avatar

I think the formal way is to address it to “Drs. John and Jane Smith” – but that’s just what I remember off the top of my head – don’t really have anything to back it up… =)

gcross's avatar

I think adeutsch is correct.

gailcalled's avatar

Or Drs. Jane and John Smith.

omfgTALIjustIMDu's avatar

Drs. Smith, if you don’t want to use first names.

ketoneus's avatar

What about when the doctor is the wife and the husband manages the household? Dr. Jane and Mr. Dick Smith?

hossman's avatar

Dr. John and THE BOSS Smith. Or Dr. John and SHE WHO MUST BE OBEYED WITHOUT QUESTION Smith. If John knows what’s good for him.

RIGGORYU's avatar

dr. john smith and household or family, the man always gets addressed first.

hossman's avatar

I mentioned this question to a group of teachers over coffee, and one said, I kid you not: “If she’s getting married, would she still be called doctor?”

Before anyone makes assumptions about gender, education, etc. of the speaker, this comment was made by a woman with a doctorate.

Answer this question




to answer.

This question is in the General Section. Responses must be helpful and on-topic.

Your answer will be saved while you login or join.

Have a question? Ask Fluther!

What do you know more about?
Knowledge Networking @ Fluther