General Question

PerryDolia's avatar

What is the name of that pin thing?

Asked by PerryDolia (3470points) August 9th, 2009

What is the name of that pin thing?

It is made of like a thousand pins put into a block of plastic, maybe six inches square. You put your face or hand against it and it makes the shape of the object in the pins.

What is it called?

Observing members: 0 Composing members: 0

13 Answers

samanthabarnum's avatar

I don’t think it has an actual name, every time I’ve heard it referenced it’s just been “pin art.”

PerryDolia's avatar

OK, “Pin Art”, although I like “pinscreen” better.

Also, Office Playground looks like a cool site.


Jeruba's avatar

From @teh_kvlt_liberal‘s link, the generic name seems to be “pinscreen,” and Pin Art is a specific brand or model.

latino_paul's avatar

Though there have been many styles and brands of this amusement, the first one I’ve seen came out in late 80’s under the name “Pin-pressions.”

filmfann's avatar

I wonder if anyone ever got hurt using one of these. They look like an accident waiting to happen.

Harp's avatar

The pinscreen was invented by Alexander Alexeieff as a way of producing animations. Look at this one Le Nez he made in 1963. Amazing stuff.

Grisaille's avatar

@Harp That is insane.

Harp's avatar

This one, Mindscape, is even more spectacular. Pinscreen animation is considered the painstaking kind of animation. The screen used in “Mindscape” had about a million pins.

gailcalled's avatar

If you turn it upside down, it’s called a bed of nails.

Grisaille's avatar

@Harp Oh, you do know how to make a man happy.

That’s fantastic. Wow.

Answer this question




to answer.

This question is in the General Section. Responses must be helpful and on-topic.

Your answer will be saved while you login or join.

Have a question? Ask Fluther!

What do you know more about?
Knowledge Networking @ Fluther