General Question

emilyrose's avatar

What else can I do to reduce the swelling in my eye?

Asked by emilyrose (2269points) October 16th, 2009

I have been getting lots of strange bug bites that are not mosquito bites. I think they may be spider bites. I got one last night on one eye and it swelled up so the eye is partly shut. I’ve already taken some benydryl and put ice on it. Are there any other tricks I should know about? This is not a sexy look and I want to get back to normal ASAP!

Observing members: 0 Composing members: 0

14 Answers

Cartman's avatar

I think you should call a doctor. Seriously! It could be an allergic reaction and you DO NOT want to risk it getting out of hand. CALL A DOCTOR!!!

hearkat's avatar

See your Dr or at least call for advice, as you don’t want to put anything in or near they eye without being certain that it is safe. In other parts of the body, I’d suggest cortisone ointment, calamine lotion, or even a paste of baking soda and water. But again, do not put anything in or near your eye(s) unless you are certain that it is safe fir ophthalmic use.

patg7590's avatar

i heard that breastmilk cures pink eye.
not sure if this is really applicable, at all

hearkat's avatar

@patg7590: not only does it not apply, but I can’t imagine how or why that could be true, as the sugars in breastmilk would probably feed the organism causing the conjunctivitis. Then again, breast milk is full of antibodies… but still, I wouldn’t try it.

patg7590's avatar

@hearkat hey look here

it’s magic.

Zaku's avatar

I’d ask a doctor or consulting nurse helpline.

NewZen's avatar

1. Call your Doctor.
2. Apply tea bags (cooled off first)
3. Repeat #1 – cuz you didn’t.

Feel better.

casheroo's avatar

breastmilk cures lots of thing.
I would definitely see a doctor for a bite on your eye. And put warm washcloth compresses on it.

gailcalled's avatar

The only safe treatment is ten minutes/hour of very warm compresses. That is the method to bring the pus in a stye to a head. I would call Doc. It is Friday, of course, and you don’t want to have a miserable week-end. He might prescribe antibiotic ointment or drops if situation warrants it.

Forget sexy and worry about safety.

hearkat's avatar

@patg7590: I am a staunch breastfeeding advocate, and nursed my son for over a year. But that is not a medical resource; and even in the article, it clearly states that it only works on the bacterial form of conjunctivitis, out of several potential causes. Therefore, a visit to the Doctor is always the best first step.

Aethelwine's avatar

Listen to everyone and go to the doctor. My daughter woke up with a swollen eye about a year ago and it was an infection in the eye socket that could have been life threatening if we hadn’t taken her in as soon as we did. I’m not saying this is the problem that you have, but a doctor’s visit would be the best thing for you right now.

Hope you feel better soon.

inkvisitor's avatar

I’m not sure if you have any near you, but some pharmacy stores (Walgreens here, for example) have walk in clinics that are cheap (and take insurance). They also have the ability to provide prescriptions (limited) and for your situation it may be helpful.

loser's avatar

Bummer! No suggestions but I hope you’re back to normal again soon!!!

emilyrose's avatar

I’ve had the exact same thing before and its def a bug bite because I got them in several other places like on my arms and forehead : ) I should have included that detail! Thanks for the tips.

Answer this question




to answer.

This question is in the General Section. Responses must be helpful and on-topic.

Your answer will be saved while you login or join.

Have a question? Ask Fluther!

What do you know more about?
Knowledge Networking @ Fluther