Social Question

Zone36's avatar

What are they doing when they check my fire alarm?

Asked by Zone36 (413points) February 2nd, 2010

So a few months ago the maintenance guy at my apartment came to check what I believe is what fire detector.

He had a long pole with something like a bowl that fit over what detector. What is it exactly and what is it doing?

Observing members: 0 Composing members: 0

1 Answer

grumpyfish's avatar

I would guess he had something like this: (about ¼ the way down the page)

The detector was probably a CO-type detector, so he had to actually saturate the detector with CO (sprayed inside the bowl) rather than just mist the detector. Ones that detect particulates can just be sprayed with an aerosol to test, but if it’s detecting a gas concentration you need a little more.

It’s a bit higher-quality test than just pushing the test button.

Answer this question




to answer.
Your answer will be saved while you login or join.

Have a question? Ask Fluther!

What do you know more about?
Knowledge Networking @ Fluther