General Question

Seek's avatar

Transferring title of a car with a lein?

Asked by Seek (34739points) February 8th, 2010

My husband’s drivers’ license is suspended. We just found out that the DMV will not renew the registration on the vehicle, because it’s in his name. This is the family vehicle, and the only one currently operating safely.

The DMV says to register the vehicle, they have to transfer the registration to my name, which means they have to transfer the title to my name. And to do that, we need a signed letterhead from the lien holder giving permission to transfer the title.

Who is the lien holder? Is it the bank that we send payments to? is it the company we bought the car from?

((edit: Stupid spelling mistake))

Observing members: 0 Composing members: 0

6 Answers

gailcalled's avatar

Call the bank that you send your payments to. Someone can talk you through this. (It’s lien). it should be straightforward if you pay the bank on time and regularly. (You can also call the car dealership and talk to your salesman to be on the safe side. Information is power.)

njnyjobs's avatar

Your bank is the lien holder.

robmandu's avatar

Yes, the lien holder is the bank you send payments to.

You have to get your name on the loan… like co-signing. It means you’ll personally be responsible for making the payments.

As a person responsible for the payment of the car, the DMV can then register the vehicle in your name as the owner.

Seek's avatar

They won’t even allow it to go through as co-signed. Hubby has to not own the car at all.

Because having legal, registered ownership of a vehicle while having a suspended license might just make him go on a raucous joyride… or something.

JLeslie's avatar

Your bank is the lien holder. Will you have to pay taxes to change the name on the title, or will they let you do it without a “sale” price. I don’t see how this can be? What if you are blind and have a driver?

robmandu's avatar

@Seek_Kolinahr, =(

So, you just need to buy it from him outright then. Of course, that will likely mean getting a new loan from the bank in your name to pay off the balance of the original lien.

Answer this question




to answer.

This question is in the General Section. Responses must be helpful and on-topic.

Your answer will be saved while you login or join.

Have a question? Ask Fluther!

What do you know more about?
Knowledge Networking @ Fluther