General Question

Ltryptophan's avatar

Who makes a powerful pirate style collapsing monacle?

Asked by Ltryptophan (10293points) February 11th, 2010

There are lots of good uses for these besides spotting the british navy on the horizon. One use I have in mind is spotting police with radar guns far in the distance! The possibilities are endless.

What uses can you come up with for one? Who makes a really good one, even if it costs an arm and a leg.

Observing members: 0 Composing members: 0

8 Answers

lucillelucillelucille's avatar

I bought one at an antique store in Kitty Hawk,N.Carolina.I have actually stood on the bow of my boat and used it.They are very cool:) Try stores in nautical areas or online.

CyanoticWasp's avatar

Telescope, not monocle. (And “monocle”, not “monacle”.) A monocle is worn on the bridge of the nose, like a half-pair of eyeglasses. Until I read @lucillelucillelucille‘s response, I had no earthly idea what your Q was about.

grumpyfish's avatar

It’s not folding, but this fits the bill for cheap:

Jeruba's avatar

Also called a spyglass.

mrentropy's avatar

@CyanoticWasp A real monocle is held in place by the eye ridge. Custom fitted ones are the best.

CyanoticWasp's avatar

@mrentropy of course. Thank you for the correction. I thought it was silly even as I was writing it, but I didn’t want to research something I’ve only ever seen in grade-B movies (and Hogan’s Heroes).

mrentropy's avatar

I’m always happy to help.

Gentleman’s Emporium carries opera glasses, monocles, and brass telescopes.

Answer this question




to answer.

This question is in the General Section. Responses must be helpful and on-topic.

Your answer will be saved while you login or join.

Have a question? Ask Fluther!

What do you know more about?
Knowledge Networking @ Fluther