General Question

WhoReallyKnows's avatar

There are theater box offices that are stand alone little rooms in front of the theater; what are these types of structures referred to as?

Asked by WhoReallyKnows (24points) February 26th, 2010

Some theaters have a small stand alone room or caged in area that serves as the box office. There is a name given to this type of structure. TheBeacon Theater in NYC has this exact type of design.

Observing members: 0 Composing members: 0

13 Answers

janbb's avatar

Ticket booth? Box office? Ticket thingy?

WhoReallyKnows's avatar

Kiosk is correct, but there is a more specific term used by designers and engineers, possibly ’ the crow’s nest’

gailcalled's avatar

The crow’s nest is an open and swaying platform at the top of some masts on the old sailing ships. It was the spot where the look-out stood, waiting to shout “Land ho,” “Thar she blows,” or “There seems to be a tornado heading our way.”

lilikoi's avatar

Will call, except that’s not an architectural term as far as I know. Could be a pavilion, although that’s not quite what I imagine when I hear the term. This guy back in the early 1900’s called it a ticket booth.

rovdog's avatar

Thought recently about the origin of “will call” as in “I will call on you to get my ticket”- I hadn’t really ever understood the term.

Zaku's avatar

A “box office”.

lilikoi's avatar

Try asking on or, and then tell us what the answer is. I really want to know now.

breedmitch's avatar

Box office.

grumpyfish's avatar

Hi, I design theatres for a living:

We’d call that a “ticket booth” to distinguish it from the “box office” which is larger and includes some of the accounting or other front of house functions.

The term “will call” is indeed as @rovdog says—the person “will call” (call as in “visit”, not the new fangled telephone thing) for the ticket, and refers to a classification of previously-purchased tickets, as opposed to purchasing tickets at the booth or box office when you show up. Usually “will call” is a separate window since the transactions happen faster than a straight purchase.

A “crow’s nest” would necessarily be higher in a building. Occasionally things in a theatre get called a crow’s nest, usually small intermediate landings in technical areas.

Answer this question




to answer.

This question is in the General Section. Responses must be helpful and on-topic.

Your answer will be saved while you login or join.

Have a question? Ask Fluther!

What do you know more about?
Knowledge Networking @ Fluther