General Question

victord66's avatar

Is my microwave oven getting ready to die?

Asked by victord66 (201points) February 28th, 2010

Just in the past two days when I microwave something there is an occasional bright flash and a buzzing inside the oven and then a strange burning smell. The oven is about 15 years old and I have kept it clean inside and out. It still seems to cook things but is it dangerous to use it like this and should I replace it?

Observing members: 0 Composing members: 0

13 Answers

LuckyGuy's avatar

You know the answer to this one. Burning is bad. It is time to replace it. Sorry.

OTOH, You can do a lot of experiments – outside, please – before you throw it away.
Nuke a CD by putting it on top of an empty coffee mug . 5–8 seconds on high It’s a riot.
Loosely wad up a sheet of aluminum foil and give it 10 seconds. Awesome.
Try 3 raw eggs on a plate for 2 minutes – high. Disgusting.
You’ll never get a better chance to try these tricks.

jrpowell's avatar

You should replace it for the simple fact that it will be a lot cheaper to run. They are super cheap and a lot more energy efficient now.

And yes, it is dangerous to use it as it is.

Replacing it is a no-brainer.

DarkScribe's avatar

It sounds as though you have something metallic in it or the utensil that you are using to cook things in it. A Magnetron will not normally fail and recover by itself.

victord66's avatar

Thanks DarkScribe but I’m just using it normally, no metallic items at all.

strawberrypomme's avatar

15 years? No, no, no! Throw it out immediately! Microwaves should be kept for no longer than 2–3 years because the original coating and lining that keeps the micro-waves inside degenerate. This means that micro-waves are leaking! and possibly entering your body which leaves you at risk of cancer!
Sorry to scare you but it’s true!

DarkScribe's avatar

@strawberrypomme Microwaves should be kept for no longer than 2–3 years because the original coating and lining that keeps the micro-waves inside degenerate.

What a lot of total uninformed nonsense. Why do you make such a ridiculous claim? There is no coating, it is a metal barrier that contains the microwave energy. A microwave will leak when its seals have been damaged, not when a “coating” wears out. (BTW some of the more expensive high end units come with a ten year warranty.)

Cruiser's avatar

Time for a Peeps Party!!

john65pennington's avatar

Its now a safety hazard and using it could pose a safey threat to you and your family. a new one is really cheap at WalMart. did i say that? anyway, mine is way over 15 years old and is still working fine. its a Panasonic. apparently, someone has placed something aluminum inside your microwave and shorted it out. replace it.

CMaz's avatar

Take it out back and shoot it!

Captain_Fantasy's avatar

It’s a microwave. You can get a new one for $50.
2–3 year lifespan on a microwave? That’s incorrect.

strawberrypomme's avatar

Seals, I meant the seals. It’s something my Physics teacher told us. And since he is highly knowledgable, I trust him and his judgement completely.

MorenoMelissa1's avatar

I would replace the microwave.

Answer this question




to answer.

This question is in the General Section. Responses must be helpful and on-topic.

Your answer will be saved while you login or join.

Have a question? Ask Fluther!

What do you know more about?
Knowledge Networking @ Fluther