General Question

roysters5's avatar

What type of adapterconverter would one buy to convert a UK adapter to a US adapter to be able to plug it in?

Asked by roysters5 (64points) March 26th, 2010

My roommate is from the UK and she has UK appliances she wants to plug in. What type of converter or adapter should she buy to be able to plug her electronics in?

One of her plug in things says input 100–240V and output 12V if that helps.

Observing members: 0 Composing members: 0

6 Answers

ChaosCross's avatar

check home depot and ask them, the adapters do exist.

CyanoticWasp's avatar

Keep in mind that the single item you mentioned is a transformer which, according to what you noted, will handle voltages from 110 V to 240 V and output 12 V. (What it doesn’t say is that it handles AC—alternating current—and converts it to DC—direct current). That is, it transforms from “high power” to “lower power”, and from AC to DC.

I don’t know what household current is in the UK, but in the US “house wiring” is normally 110 V (except for heavy duty appliances such as electric stoves, clothes driers and some air conditioners and other high-powered devices). In much of Europe and Asia “house wiring” is 220 V, so items that aren’t “rated” as you note, may not work at all, even with an adapter plug.

This is more of a problem when traveling with things like hair dryers, electric shavers, etc., from the US to Europe and Asia, where “lower current rated” items simply burn out when first turned on at 220 V.

It’s smart to look at what your appliance is rated for… and to know the current you’re attempting to use.

All your roommate needs here is a plug adapter, which is easily available at most hardware stores and computer supply stores, Radio Shack, and nearly anywhere else that sells electronic equipment.

jo_with_no_space's avatar

An adapter from 3 square pins (UK) to 2 flat ones (US) – if it helps regarding the voltage and all, I am from the UK and when I went to the US in December, I took my normal hair drier and phone charger, along with a standard adapter of the type I have just described. Both appliances worked fine, although my hairdrier does have a voltage switch for travel – check this as some do.

bob_'s avatar

@jo_with_no_space Joey! :D

* waves enthusiastically*

jo_with_no_space's avatar

@bob_ Oh hai thar! How the devil are you? :)

bob_'s avatar

@jo_with_no_space I’m alright XD Yourself?

Answer this question




to answer.

This question is in the General Section. Responses must be helpful and on-topic.

Your answer will be saved while you login or join.

Have a question? Ask Fluther!

What do you know more about?
Knowledge Networking @ Fluther