General Question

rebbel's avatar

Concerning fertility and menopause?

Asked by rebbel (25206points) April 11th, 2010

Preface: Excuse my lack of appropriate terms, English is not my native language.

Last night i heard from my mother that my (ex) sister-in-law was having some health issues.
At 35 she started to get menopause.
She is deeply saddened that she can’t get children now anymore (or a smaller chance to get them?).
My mother told me that usually women can get hormone treatment but in her case that isn’t possible because of breastcancer running in the family.
Three questions that came up are:
When menopause kicked in, are you not able to get children immediately, or does it takes time to be fully infertile?
Can an egg be taken away and put in the freezer when menopause just started (is the egg still good)?
If so, can a frozen egg (after it’s fertilized in a lab) be put back in my sister-in-law’s womb or does ahe need a another woman to carry it for her?
Thanks in advance.

Observing members: 0 Composing members: 0

20 Answers

zophu's avatar


dpworkin's avatar

She needs to consult a fertility specialist immediately. Things can be done, but time is of the essence. 35 is very young – there may be some underlying pathology that can be dealt with.

rebbel's avatar

@zophu Good one.
I’m not sure if that it something to say to a woman that just got the message that she isn’t going to have children of her own though.
Slightly harsh.

zophu's avatar

overpopulation is harsh. genetic weakness is harsh. being an orphan is harsh. advising someone to adopt is not harsh.

rebbel's avatar

Thanks, man.

Underlying pathology.
Can you give me a possible example of such a thing, please?

dpworkin's avatar

Something hormonal? Maybe she could consult with an edocrinologist?

rebbel's avatar

I’ll look that up, the edocrinologist.

dpworkin's avatar

They deal with glands and hormones: pituitary, etc.

Ludy's avatar

Whatever she can do, she’s got to do it quick, consult a specialist not us, that’s a serious matter.

rebbel's avatar

Of course you are right there.
There is even the chance that, ‘as we speak’, she is doing just that.

gailcalled's avatar

A woman is born with all the eggs she will have; given the very early onset of menopause, your ex- sister-in-law may still have viable eggs. If she has a sperm donor (husband or sperm bank) possibly the eggs can be fertilized in a petri dish and then transferred to her uterus (or a surregate).

Those are the mechanics; what the hormonal issues are only a fertility expert or endocrinolist will know.

rebbel's avatar

Thank you, gail.

Coloma's avatar

If your sister is, infact, menopausal, it is a gradual decline over some years, not an abrupt stop, until a year post.

Many women become pregnant in their 40’s and beyond, and it is as high risk a time for accidental pregnancy as it is in ones teen years. Irregular cycles are common.

The idea of harvesting her eggs might be a viable option dependent on what her true condition is.

rebbel's avatar

Thanks for that, @Coloma .

wundayatta's avatar

Frozen eggs very rarely survive thawing. If you want something that will survive, you’d need a fertilized egg. The process for stimulating a cycle is pretty difficult to manage, and I don’t even know if someone who was in menopause would be allowed to go through it.

In any case, the person to talk to is a fertility doctor.

Dr_Lawrence's avatar

@rebbel The correct spelling in endocrinologist.

Each case is different and menopause at 35 is quite unusual.

I hope your search will help your sister with her concerns.

rebbel's avatar

@Dr_Lawrence @wundayatta
Thanks for answering too.
I’ll tell her to appoint an endocrinologist, if she didn’t so already.

Response moderated (Spam)
monicamontes000's avatar

@rebbel Hello hope I can help your sister-in-law with this., If she really wants to have a child, even if she’s on the menopausal period shes still have that fertile egg, and with the active sperm of his husband they can still have a child. All they need to do now is look for a person to carry her child or the process of surrogacy. If you want I can help you find the best center for that.

Answer this question




to answer.

This question is in the General Section. Responses must be helpful and on-topic.

Your answer will be saved while you login or join.

Have a question? Ask Fluther!

What do you know more about?
Knowledge Networking @ Fluther