General Question

ava's avatar

Can someone translate this from French to English for me pretty please!

Asked by ava (977points) June 14th, 2010

I subscribe to a paying translation site, but it doesn’t seem to be working now and I need this translated for work purposes. The French is:
Les Trompe-L’Oeil

I need to know what this means en anglaise por favor ;)

Observing members: 0 Composing members: 0

7 Answers

dpworkin's avatar

It means “too fool the eye” and it is an art reference, describing a painting done to make you believe that you are looking at an actual object.

MissAnthrope's avatar

What @dpworkin said, with a small addition. The fact that it is les means that it is plural and a noun, so essentially more than one of these eye-fooling paintings.

The_Idler's avatar

Optical Illusions

stranger_in_a_strange_land's avatar

@dpworkin , @MissAnthrope and @The_Idler have it correct. Literally “tricks for the eye” or optical illusions.

Nullo's avatar

The Reading Rainbow episode on optical illusions explains this.

Answer this question




to answer.

This question is in the General Section. Responses must be helpful and on-topic.

Your answer will be saved while you login or join.

Have a question? Ask Fluther!

What do you know more about?
Knowledge Networking @ Fluther