General Question

BronxLens's avatar

What to call this art form?

Asked by BronxLens (1539points) June 26th, 2010

I have been photographing found vandalized poster boards. The people who do this tear the posters previously glued, which do not tear cleanly but leave random bits of the posters.

As new posters are glued on and are torn off again, the resulting surface shows either leftovers of an old poster with the background surface of the base wood board, or a mix of older and newer posters -you may see here some samples in my portfolio titled ‘paper’ at

I see these posters sharing elements of but not being properly collages. If so, what can I call them? I am looking for a formal name, perhaps one using a Greek root and suffix, or in French, but anything that would help differentiate them from standard collages would be a big help.

Thank you.

Observing members: 0 Composing members: 0

11 Answers

Response moderated (Unhelpful)
ETpro's avatar

Nice site in the link, but I wasn’t sure where to find the referenced poster photos. What I did click on didn’t seem to be that. I’d like to look at some examples before giving an answer.

jazmina88's avatar

i like postopgraphy


Buttonstc's avatar

How about Serendipitous Collages ?

Or twist it around a bit for “The Collages of Serendip”

(sort of reminiscent of the. Arthouse film “The Umbrellas of Cherborg”, if you will.)

Or perhaps I’m just over-thinking it a tad :D

janbb's avatar


dpworkin's avatar


BronxLens's avatar

@ dpworkin You are heading in the right direction. Lurve to you.

“A pentimento (plural pentimenti) is an alteration in a painting, evidenced by traces of previous work, showing that the artist has changed his mind as to the composition during the process of painting.”

ETpro's avatar

@BronxLens Aha. Thanks. I wondered if that might be the series in question, but the explanatory text with the images offered no hint of the genesis of the found objects. I would suggest you fold some of the text in your question into the description. The “art” here is part in the camera and lighting, and part the result of all the graphic artists and the graffiti artists and vandals. That is profound enough I think you need to get that message across to the viewer.

BronxLens's avatar

@ ETpro, thanks for the advise =) At this point I think I can’t change/rephrase the original question, but with your commentary and that of others I think future posters will know how to proceed. Thanks again!

ETpro's avatar

Glad to offer what I could, and best of luck with the project.

Answer this question




to answer.

This question is in the General Section. Responses must be helpful and on-topic.

Your answer will be saved while you login or join.

Have a question? Ask Fluther!

What do you know more about?
Knowledge Networking @ Fluther