General Question

saservp's avatar

Can you get (cheaper) car insurance for a rental car? I.E. Not from the rental company?

Asked by saservp (291points) August 31st, 2010

I’m renting a car for a week, and the rental co (thrifty) offers insurance, but it is insanely expensive. Is there a company where I can get insurance just for the week that’s not a million dollars a day?

Observing members: 0 Composing members: 0

13 Answers

jaytkay's avatar

If you own a car, ask your insurance company if your insurance covers rentals.

saservp's avatar

Nope, I don’t. I’ve been out of the country for a few years.

CaptainHarley's avatar

Most assuredly! Make sure your regular auto insurance coverage includes rentals. : )

saservp's avatar

Again, I do not have insurance, thus the question.

CaptainHarley's avatar

Do you own a vehicle?

saservp's avatar

Nope, I don’t. I’ve been out of the country for a few years.

CaptainHarley's avatar

Sorry. Should have read the other responses. : (

Then you don’t have any choice but to take the insurance the auto rental company offers.

saservp's avatar

No prob.

OK, thanks, thats what I wanted to know. I guess that’s how you get away with charging nearly $300 in insurance for one week…

wundayatta's avatar

Hang on a second!

Do you have a gold or platinum credit card? If so, these cards provide insurance if you decline the insurance waiver.

It works, too, I think. It provides first dollar coverage (no out of pocket). I was just making a claim yesterday for that. A lot of paperwork. But worth it since I have $500 deductible for my auto insurance.

Of course, if you don’t have a card with this benefit, you’re back to paying it from them.

janbb's avatar

Yes, check what your credit card company provides in rental car insurance. It often will provide for comp and collision on rental cars.

bob_'s avatar

As others have said, check with your credit card company.

Regardless, do get insurance. It’s expensive, but cheaper than the alternative should the worst occur.

Ben_Dover's avatar

Just don’t get the insurance. Odds are you won’t be in an accident. Drive very very carefully.

occ's avatar

Some insurance companies offer something called “driver’s insurance” – you can become an insured driver even if you don’t own your own vehicle. This covers you if you rent a car, drive a friend’s car, etc. It is relatively inexpensive – I believe about $25 per month. I know USAA offers it but you need to be a member of USAA. You can call some car insurance companies and buy it for one month – it would save you a lot of money. However, this may not cover damage to the car – so that is the kind of thing you should find out if your credit card would cover.

Answer this question




to answer.

This question is in the General Section. Responses must be helpful and on-topic.

Your answer will be saved while you login or join.

Have a question? Ask Fluther!

What do you know more about?
Knowledge Networking @ Fluther