General Question

BigDom's avatar

Should I have surgery on my shoulder?

Asked by BigDom (36points) March 25th, 2008 from iPhone

I injured my shoulder in a motercycle v. A side of a car and have had consistent problems w/ my back and shoulder since. After two MRI’s there is no trauma to the shoulder itself but I still have a type I/II/III ac joint separation. There is no definative answer on the severity of the seperation. So should I opt to have surgery to fix something that is damaged but nobody can tell me how damaged my ac joint is?

Observing members: 0 Composing members: 0

8 Answers

trainerboy's avatar

Well, I have never performed a surgery, so my answer comes from looking on Google. I believe that you should have it done immediately. Actually, Google gives some pretty thorough details of things like this so if you have a good friend with a steady hand, he or she could probably do it in your home and save you a lot of money.

Lightlyseared's avatar

If you are concerned about the surgery you should talk to the surgeon who’s going to do it about your concerns. If in doubt you could get a second opinion. My two cents with the shoulder open the surgeon will be able to see exactly what is going on and may be able to repair it. Medical imaging is not perfect and it can be difficult to determine exactly what is going on and often surgery is the only way to go.

trainerboy's avatar

Give Yahoo a shot then.

scamp's avatar

This question would be best answered by your doctor. If you still aren’t sure, get a second opinion.

trainerboy's avatar

I thought of that too, but figured that since the person asking the question apparently felt to bypass medical advice, I would do the best I could to give an answer. I do have family that are doctors and people figure I know medical questions anyway as they ask me all the time. They figure I must have learned through some form of osmosis about medicine.

scamp's avatar

trainerboy I work in a doctor’s office, and I get the same thing. Sometimes I am able to point people to the right type of doctor with enough information, ie: MRI reports, etc. But since neither you or I are actually doctors, and the doctor I work for is not in this field, I think the asker would do better asking a specialist. I recently had surgery myself and the recovery is not going as welll as I had hoped. I have spoken with my employer about it, but since it is out of scope for him, the best he can do is help me form questions to ask my surgeon.

I wouldn’t want the asker to have or not have surgery based on asking an unqualified person on the internet, hence the suggestion to ask a specialist.

trainerboy's avatar

I agree completely. I wondered if the question was really a joke since not even a doctor would give an answer over the internet other than to see a specialist.

scamp's avatar

Well maybe not. He or she could be asking for opinions from someone who may have had a similar injury. I’ve done that while considering my surgery to see what the pros and cons might be. But I ultimately went with what my doctor advised, which is what I feel the asker should do. It is helpful to ask other people for their opinions because if nothing else, it will help the asker know what kind of questions to ask their doctor.

Answer this question




to answer.

This question is in the General Section. Responses must be helpful and on-topic.

Your answer will be saved while you login or join.

Have a question? Ask Fluther!

What do you know more about?
Knowledge Networking @ Fluther