General Question

Perchik's avatar

I have a cast on my arm...Whats the best way to keep it dry in the shower?

Asked by Perchik (4982points) March 15th, 2007
Observing members: 0 Composing members: 0

9 Answers

sfgal's avatar
double plastic bag and seal it with a rubberband around your arm? that's what my mom did when she broke her ankle.
gailcalled's avatar
If it is your dominant arm, try a stool to sit on. You don't want to fall you have any showers w. grab bars? After I took a bad fall, broke some ribs and did other serious damage. I had hospital-quality grab bars installed in one shower. (Plastic bag and rubberbands work; just make sure that they are water-tight...and don't raise arm up. Water does like to find it's own level and can dribble into a very tiny space. Hope the bone knits soon.)
Perchik's avatar
Well it is my dominant arm and I don't have a shower w/ a grab bar. I was doing mission work in the gulf coast and broke some bones in my hand. Now I have returned to the dorms. The dorm showers are very small, no handicap bar in any of the showers. (Actually there might be one per floor, but I don't know where.) It was suggested for me to put a garbage bag over it, wrap some rubber bands around it, and hold it high. I can't hold it high because the ceiling is only a few inches above my head. I had a garbage bag rig earlier but it felt like if I moved wrong, I would get water in my cast.
skfinkel's avatar
I also recommend the plastic bag solution. Try and keep your cast out of the shower altogether which sounds not altogether too difficult in your tiny shower. But a covering of plastic should help as a fallback keeping that arm dry while you shower.
sjg102379's avatar
At places like medical supply stores, you can get what basically looks like a giant condom for just this purpose. It's made of rubber and you roll it on and then roll it off.
gailcalled's avatar
If you have your dominant arm packaged and taped and sticking out of a tiny shower, AND are trying to soap yourself w. non-dominant arm, how about a friend there to grab you since you have one arm too few to hang on to anything...and slipping in a shower can be nasty...easy to do if you are off balance..
Tennis5tar's avatar
My friend had her leg in a cast and she swore by cling film! Not sure if it's called the same thing in the states though. :)
Tennis5tar's avatar
OK, I just looked it up and it's called plastic wrap in the USA, which makes sense! Just wrap it around a lot.
gailcalled's avatar
If you are using Saran (or plastic) wrap, you still have the problem of sealing both ends..I found the plastic bag and rubber band solution safer. Water can sneak in so -erm - sneakily.

Answer this question




to answer.

This question is in the General Section. Responses must be helpful and on-topic.

Your answer will be saved while you login or join.

Have a question? Ask Fluther!

What do you know more about?
Knowledge Networking @ Fluther