General Question

squirbel's avatar

What is the proper name of a push button circuit?

Asked by squirbel (4297points) March 29th, 2008

I am doing my first DIY project that includes electricity. I am looking for a push-button switch that breaks the circuit once it is pressed. My goal is to create a closet light that comes on once the door is opened… like a refrigerator. I have searched Home Depot [online], Lowe’s [online], and a myriad of small online shops to find the right name, to no avail. I prefer not to waste gas traipsing around town to find this out.

• What is the proper name of this component?
• Do you know a place online where I can buy this component?
• What brick-and-mortar stores might have it?

Here is an illustration of the component, and the project I want to do:


Observing members: 0 Composing members: 0

3 Answers

jrpowell's avatar

Would something like this work?

Perchik's avatar

I’d check radio shack. Their website has a section under components called switches

This might be similar to what you want.

Good luck!

blippio's avatar

momentary switch?

Answer this question




to answer.

This question is in the General Section. Responses must be helpful and on-topic.

Your answer will be saved while you login or join.

Have a question? Ask Fluther!

What do you know more about?
Knowledge Networking @ Fluther