General Question

silky1's avatar

Who do you contact if someone has been using water illegally in your name and now has a $700 bill?

Asked by silky1 (1507points) September 26th, 2010

What do I do?

Observing members: 0 Composing members: 0

6 Answers

weeveeship's avatar

Call the water department and dispute the charge.

marinelife's avatar

The water utility.

tranquilsea's avatar

Make sure you gather up all the proof you possibly can before you call the water utility.

wundayatta's avatar

Did they steal the water without your knowledge? Did you inform the water company as soon as you found out? Or have you been tolerating this situation, knowing it is going on?

You are best off if you reported the situation as soon as you found out. Then the water company could come out and turn off the water to the person stealing it. If you only reported it when you got the bill, you may be on the hook. Utilities aren’t often sympathetic to their customers’ plights. But you could get lucky.

If not, you might want to talk to your local city counsel member or state rep or whatever you have. Explain the situation. They might intervene.

Hypocrisy_Central's avatar

I would go directly to the water company, someone had to sign up for the service at the location causing you the hefty bill. If my signature was not on it I would ask them how could the bill be mine? If they went to the utilities office and signed up, if it is like here they would be seen on security camera, if it wasn’t me in the cam i would say surely i didn’t authorize it. Then I would go to records and find out in whoes name the property using the water was under.

WestRiverrat's avatar

Also contact the governing board for the utilities.

Answer this question




to answer.

This question is in the General Section. Responses must be helpful and on-topic.

Your answer will be saved while you login or join.

Have a question? Ask Fluther!

What do you know more about?
Knowledge Networking @ Fluther