General Question

buckyboy28's avatar

Is there a name for videos where lyrics appear on the screen to the music?

Asked by buckyboy28 (4938points) September 30th, 2010

I’m wondering if there is a name for the type of video where in lieu of video, lyrics appear on the screen, but the sizes of the text are larger or smaller depending on the music.

An example of what I’m talking about would be here.

Observing members: 0 Composing members: 0

20 Answers

rebbel's avatar


buckyboy28's avatar

@rebbel Did you watch the video? It’s not karaoke.

rebbel's avatar

No, i didn’t watch it, i deduced my answer from your descriptive wording.

buckyboy28's avatar

@rebbel I suppose I could just delete the descriptive wording and just put a clip then.

rebbel's avatar

What did i do?
I answered your question, and now that i’ve seen the video as well, my answer is karaoke.
I could be wrong, it’s even very probable, but there you have it, the answer that i thought could be it.

ucme's avatar

Could be just closed captions?

lillycoyote's avatar

Do have example of something that doesn’t require me to log into my youtube account because I can’t remember my user name or my password and don’t feel like going through the process of retrieving all that. Is a it music video? There may be a word for it but someone usually creates some image or series of images for a youtube video that accompanies a musical track because the site doesn’t post just sound clips. Sometimes it a collage of images, a picture of the actual album cover, I’ve seen that or text. A black or blank screen would be possible, I guess, not very interesting though.

buckyboy28's avatar

@lillycoyote this is the same video. this one doesn’t require you to log in.

Response moderated (Personal Attack)
lillycoyote's avatar

As far as I can tell it is generally referred to as adding, posting or displaying lyrics on a youtube video, nothing more, nothing less, that simple.




If there is word or term for it other than the above or “some version of karoake” I can’t find it so far. Someone may have a better answer.

OreetCocker's avatar

Think they are c plus vg files but couldn’t open the links so sorry if i’m wrong!

mrentropy's avatar

In my day they were called “Sing-A-Longs” and they had a ball that bounced across the lyrics so you knew what word you were supposed to be singing.

RocketGuy's avatar

@mrentropy – man, you must be old! OK, I remember them as “Sing-A-Long” too, so I must be just as old.

Gamrz360's avatar

Yeah its karaoke.

Response moderated (Off-Topic)
kissmesoftly's avatar

Sing-a-long. And I’m 19. You guys aren’t old.

chels's avatar

It’s not karaoke.

It’s actually called kinetic typography.

lillycoyote's avatar

Jeez @chels, where ya been? We’ve been stumbling around here in the dark like idiots. I can only give you one GA. You obviously deserve more than one, because not only is it a great answer, but your answer, kinetic typography, actually seems to be the correct answer.

chels's avatar

@lillycoyote Sorrrrrry it took me so long :D Glad I could help! I love kinetic typography and actually was trying to learn how to do it for a while, which is why I know. :)

lillycoyote's avatar

@chels The Wikipedia link you posted had a link to some kinetic typography tutorials if you want to try it again. Though… maybe you already knew this since your the one who posted the link. :-)

Answer this question




to answer.

This question is in the General Section. Responses must be helpful and on-topic.

Your answer will be saved while you login or join.

Have a question? Ask Fluther!

What do you know more about?
Knowledge Networking @ Fluther