jodi_nelson45's avatar

Is stem cell eyelift a safe procedure?

Asked by jodi_nelson45 (1 points ) January 7th, 2013

This is a fairly novel procedure I know. But a lot of people have been saying that it is very good.

Nobody, but nobody – gets close to my eyes with a knife.

Especially for purely cosmetic purposes.

wundayatta's avatar

Stem cell eyelifts don’t use a knife. They take stem cells from your own fat, and then reinject them in various places in your eyelids necessary to fill out your skin and make you look youthful again. From the number of advertisements on the internet, it looks like a lot of people are doing it. They say it can be done outpatient. It takes less time to do your whole face (forehead, too, etc), and it costs less than surgery.

I can’t tell you how safe it is. I would identify a surgeon or two in your area, and ask them for numbers. How many surgeries have they done. What are the side effects? How often have they had any side effects?

The site I read said it takes around two weeks to recover. You’ll be puffy and red while recovering, but you can go about your normal activities the day after the surgery. They do inject this stuff into your skin with a local anesthetic. So there are a lot of injection markings, I would think. Probably there are several visits, since it sounds like they have to harvest fat cells first, and then culture the stem cells, before they can reinject them.

Since it is your own cells, you shouldn’t experience rejection. But as with any surgery, things can go wrong. The doctor might make a mistake.

Anyway, evaluate the doctors and see if you trust them. See what their record it. Compare it to national data from the plastic surgery association (or whatever they call it). Then make your choice.

diavolobella's avatar

I’m not sure about the safety of this particular procedure, but much depends on the abilities of the doctor you select. Toward that end, check online reviews of the physicians, ask for recommendations from your other doctors (your regular general physician or OB/GYN) and check to see if your doctor is Board certified or has additional credentials from any medical associations or continuing education organizations, especially for additional training and/or certification in that specific procedure.