ahro0703's avatar

Should people exercise for responsibility?

Asked by ahro0703 (136 points ) January 20th, 2014

These days,there are a lot of obese people. It is because they are busy. Is it right to make them do sports for a responsibility?

talljasperman's avatar

I do a push up , in the recovery position, every time I get out of bed to go to the washroom or kitchen. I would love to participate in sports but my sweats keep falling down when I run and I crap myself when I excise. If possible I would do sit ups in bed, and push ups.

SQUEEKY2's avatar

Do you put in 14 hours a day at work, do you drive 10,000miles a month? I do know I have to exercise more ,do you feel like a work out after a 14hour work day?

CWOTUS's avatar

Welcome to Fluther.

People already have a responsibility for their body. Are you suggesting that “doing sports” should be… what? ... a legal responsibility, as well?

I can see how this would sell, ultimately: Do sports or we will imprison or kill you.

Maybe you have a better tag line than I can come up with.
——
In any case, I don’t completely accept your premise that “it is because they are too busy.” Not proven.

BosM's avatar

Obesity is more closely correlated to eating habits than exercise. Portions are out of control, and all the processed foods are engineered to make us want to over eat. Americans eat junk food and that’s why obesity is a problem.

Yes exercise is good, but if you walk 5,000 -10,000 steps a day and eat at or under 2,000 calories obesity wouldn’t be a problem. And yes, we all should take time to exercise AND eat right.

Darth_Algar's avatar

@CWOTUS “Are you suggesting that “doing sports” should be… what? ... a legal responsibility, as well?
I can see how this would sell, ultimately: Do sports or we will imprison or kill you.”

More laws are the solution to any problem.

You have a false premise – …there are a lot of obese people. It is because they are busy.

So busy they can’t eat a healthy diet? As @BosM said, if people just cut out the crap they eat, and kept it down to 2,000 calories per day, they’d lose a lot of weight without increasing their exercise. Cut out the sugar and the diet drinks and the red bulls and all the processed carbs.

And if you lose a bit of weight from eating healthy, you’ll gain productivity, work smarter, and have more time to take care of yourself. And you’d be more inclined to move your body and get a bit fit along the way.

People aren’t any busier than they were 20 years ago.