• This question is currently being edited.

General Question

How much would micro Soft stock 17k in 2001 be worth today?

Asked by jhgn (5 points ) 1 month ago

micro Soft stocks amounting to 17k from 2001 would be worth today?

Observing members: 0 Composing members: 0

2 Answers

You don’t say when in 2001, but the return rate for Microsoft over the past 13 years has been about 47% according to some of the articles I’ve read. Thus we could make a rough estimate of $24,990. If that doesn’t seem like a lot, it has been widely remarked that the years from 2001 – 2010 were not very good for the tech industry as a whole (though Apple managed to be an outlier here).

P.S. I’m sending your question to someone who might be able to give a more precise answer.

Here’s a history of the MSFT stock splits since the IPO in March of 1986. If you feel like wading through that, you can extrapolate an approximate value of your 17K. There was a 2 for 1 split in 2003 but, apparently, it did not affect the NAV.

http://www.ehow.com/about_5077008_microsoft-stock-split-history.html

On a Fidelity chart of the price history since 1986, which is hard to read, it looks as though the price bounced around between. c $20 and $35 dollars in 2001. It closed today at $41.87.

@SavoirFaire‘s 47% seems close enough. It’s not as though it were Apple stock, unfortunately. I too chose MSFT over APPL.

This discussion is closed.

Have a question? Ask Fluther!

What do you know more about?
or
Knowledge Networking @ Fluther