cheebdragon's avatar

Why are spiders bitting me so often?

Asked by cheebdragon (15414 points ) 2 weeks ago from iPhone

I remember getting bitten by a lot of Mosquitos when I was a little kid, my brother and I both had pretty bad reactions to their bites. Most people just end up with a tiny or small bump but ours would be golf ball sized welts, there were days we couldn’t even go to school because we were too swollen.
When I was pregnant with my son I stopped getting bitten and up until about 1 month ago I hadn’t been bitten by anything in over 8 years, Mosquitos, fleas, spiders…they all left me alone.
A couple of weeks ago I woke up with 3 gnarly spider bites on my arm and back, they were huge and the skin was extremely hot for about 3 days. It was strange but I didn’t think much of it at first, but a few days later I was staying at my boyfriends house for a few days and I ended up with 8 more spider bites (there were itchy but didn’t swell hardly at all so I assume it was a tiny spider). Last week I went to visit my dad and I ended up with a huge bite on my leg.

My bf was in the same bed as me, but he didn’t get any bites, and while I was at my dads I had to share a room with my son and he didn’t get any bites either.

Why, after 8 years am I suddenly getting bitten 12x in 1 month? In completely different cities & states? Any why am I the only one getting bitten?

Any insight at all would be helpful at this point, I didn’t take pics of all of them, but if you want to see the bites you can view them here

1 Answer

GloPro's avatar

Wow, that looks terrible. Do you actually see/feel the bites?

If this were me, I would go to my doctor/clinic/health dept/ER and just have them looked at. It is worth noting that your BF is not getting bitten, too. While I do not discredit that they are bites, I think you should rule out cellulitis and MRSA. I see both all of the time, and most people think it’s an infected spider bite. The docs can give you meds to clear it up if it is either.

If it does in fact turn out to be bites you should bug bomb the boyfriend’s house.