molzy's avatar

How much do car dealerships mark up prices?

Asked by molzy (20 points ) June 26th, 2007

I'm hoping to be buying a new car in the next couple of weeks, it's my first time, and I'm just wondering how low from the sticker prices to dealerships tend to go? Is there a set standard?

Mike's avatar

It varies significantly with the popularity of the vehicle. If a model is flying off lots, the dealers won't come down very far from the sticker price. Try checking "True Market Value" on web site to get a ballpark idea what you should expect to pay for a specific vehicle.

Michael's avatar

It also depends on the dealer. Some places (like carmax, for example) won't negotiate at all. The sticker price is the price you'll pay (plus taxes, fees, etc). Most dealers, however, EXPECT you to negotiate. I know that some people feel uncomforable haggling and if that's you, then go to one of those no-bargain places. Otherwise, go in expecting to play "let's make a deal."

mvgolden's avatar also have a feature to suggest a price you should pay for a new car. I used it when I bought a car a few years ago.

mabelrxu's avatar

try reading this article:

it talks a lot about what salespeople do, how (much) they mark up prices, and the website also lets you search for information on whatever car you're looking for