When you started using glycolic acid on your face did you get freckles and discoloration more easily?

Asked by JLeslie (50099 points ) November 5th, 2012

I know you are supposed to protect your skin from the sun when using lotions with glycolic acid, but I was out for a very short time yesterday and did not have any SPF on. This morning I think I am a little more freckled, and it happened much quicker than it normally would. I noticed about 6 months ago I had a little more discoloration on my face, or at least I thought so, and so now I am wondering if stripping away the outer, dryer, skin layer means sun damage happens faster.

SpatzieLover's avatar

I use glycolic acid peels at home and have never noticed more sun damage.

trailsillustrated's avatar

Yes! you have to wear the strongest sunscreen, and hats!

@trailsillustrated Do you think it is forever a permanent state of being, or if I stop using it for a while I will go back to the old me regarding sun freckles and discoloration?

@SpatzieLover Are you always very careful about protecting your skin? You do live in a very northern state also. I know it gets very sunny at times, but typically the sun is not quite as strong as down here. I only noticed it the two times i went out without sun protection on very sunny days. I usually am very good about using lotions and potions and standing in the shade.