syz's avatar

How do I save my Ipod music with the new computer?

Asked by syz (33583 points ) November 19th, 2012

My old computer crashed and I was unable to retrieve anything. I’ve been assured that if I just load iTunes and then hook up my Ipod, I’ll lose the music that’s already on it.

How do I re-establish iTunes without losing what I’ve already bought (nope, didn’t save anything to “the Cloud” – guess maybe I should start, hmm?)?

XOIIO's avatar

You can get the program touchcopy, it works great.

I didn’t buy it shifty eyes but it’s worth it.

bhec10's avatar

I would get the program Senuti and copy all your songs from your iPod to your computer.

From there you can put them into iTunes, delete all the songs on your iPod and put the songs on it again.

That’s how I would do it.

rooeytoo's avatar

I second Senuti, I have used it several times and it works very well.

syz's avatar

Thanks, guys. I’m hopelessly inept when it comes to computers – is it pretty straightforward to use?

bhec10's avatar

@syz Yes, it’s very straightforward. If I recall correctly you just have to plug in your iPod, select all the songs you want and choose a destination folder. Then you click either “Transfer” or “Import”, I can’t remember which one right now.

jrpowell's avatar

If you bought the music/apps/movies you can just download them again for free in iTunes.

XOIIO's avatar

@johnpowell Yes but they only send you downloads again once.

macdvd's avatar

If you purchased all of the songs through itunes store, please follow these steps:
1. Open up Itunes and Click on Itunes Store
2. Once you’re in the Itunes Store look to right side of the screen and you should see the word “purchased”. Click purchased and you’ll be sent to a purchase screen.
3. Click on “All Songs” and then it will show all the songs you’ve downloaded. From there you just hit the button that looks like a cloud with an arrow on it, and it will download all the songs all over again.

If you didn’t purchase them through Itunes, then you’ll have to download software that will strip the songs from your iPod onto your computer. And here is a step by step guide show you how to do that, hope it helps.
http://www.ipod-transfer-copy.com/how-to-transfer-music-from-ipod-to-computer-itunes.html