Some help building the ultimate desk?
I have literally spent 40–50 hrs designing what I at least hope is approaching the ultimate desk. It has everything from built in speaker stands, a file cabinet, drawers, TV mount, built in power, slots for all my electronics, and everything else you could think of!
I know, however, that when you spend 50 hrs designing something, you tend to overlook obvious things, so any help would be greatly appreciated!! That being said, I don’t quite know how to share the model on this site (it’s done in Google sketchup) so if you just PM me your email I can go ahead and send you the model (unless you have another way)!
Total dimensions approach 4’x8’ and it has a modular design so it can be moved from place to place without tearing down any walls.
I am a college student majoring in computer science and graphic design, so my computer and desk are where I do almost 100% of my work.
About the design (I’m just going to list everything I can think of!):
– unique shape (one of my favorite features)
– made of oak plywood and pine 1x(2,3,4)‘s
– will be stained a fairly light color
– high gloss polyurethane finish
Left Side Drawer Unit:
– one drawer contains hanging file
– receiver built in (removable face plate for easy access)
– flap on back left hold chargers and HDMI cords that fit through holes on left side when needed
– home media server under flap
– fans on left side to vent hot air from receiver and server
– intake vent above receiver
– three pronged retractable extension cords on either side of main opening (not shown are the reels that will just hang on either side)
– slit to hold keyboard, mouse, and other accessories when not in use
– small drawer
– sub woofer on left
– small flap (folds down) for access to sub woofer volume knob
– big flap (folds down) for access to modem and router that sit on shelf
– main power supply for TV, router, modem, usb hub, subwoofer, and retractable extension cords under router/modem shelf
– cable guide that forms a path between the TV, main power, and receiver
– intake vent that lines up with vents on server
– holes for extension cord for main power and power for server and receiver
– slightly larger hole for internet cable
– TV and front speakers mounted to desk (no holes in the walls!)
– flaps and recessed storage to help eliminate clutter
– outlets with usb ports to left of TV
– usb hub on far right
Accessories on Desk:
– external hard drive