bsettz's avatar

Is it ok to put my 9 week old pitbull on a leash at nite? ( bedtime )

Asked by bsettz (5 points ) December 29th, 2012 from iPhone

I have a 9week old pitbull. Only had her 4 days. I was lettn her sleep with me at first. Then i got her a kennel but she doesnt like it and cries all nite so now i took to putting her on a leash in the kitchen only at nite. She seems better but is it healthy for her. During the day she gets walked at least 5 times we play with her and hold her all day like a baby. I just feel bad leaving her alone downstairs at nite. I keep her in the house unless im walking her. Its late shes not crying now so i guess shes getting use to being tied up at nite. Should i force the kennel on her she really doesnt like it is it ok to put her on a leash at nite. I just want to do whats best for her.

rooeytoo's avatar

I wouldn’t leash her, she could choke herself, you could find a dead puppy in the morning. Persist with the crate training. It usually only takes a couple of nights and then they look upon it as their own private little cave and will go into it eagerly. Read up on how to accomplish this, a treat in it during the day, etc. Also I would keep the crate in the bedroom with me. If you don’t want to do that, leave a radio on playing low just to keep it company. It also comes in handy later in life to have a crate trained dog. If you have company and don’t want the dog to interact. If you are going on a long trip in the car, many reasons to crate dogs over their lifetime. If you ever fly her anywhere, it is a must. Don’t give up!

DigitalBlue's avatar

I’ll second that crate-training is valuable. Most dogs will cry at first, but once they get used to it, they will actually like it. My dog cried when we first started crating her, but now she runs to her crate if something scares her, fireworks, thunder, it’s like her little safe haven.

Shippy's avatar

I agree with @rooeytoo leashes can be dangerous. Can you get a small crate to keep her in?

RandomGirl's avatar

I’m wondering if you have the best size of a crate for the puppy. Even though she may grow up to be a larger dog, it’d be best to have a small crate right now. The smallest one that is safe for her (she can stand up and turn around in it) would be best, for two reasons. 1) If it’s too big, she’ll turn one section into her “living space” and will mess up the other section with food or toys, or use it as her bathroom. (Btw, it’s not a good idea to let her have food or toys in the crate with her.)
2) The comforting effect mentioned before won’t happen if the crate is too big. You want the puppy to feel that this is her special place. If it’s too big for her, she won’t feel this.