Qasim_Stylezz's avatar

What to do with Puss in burn?

Asked by Qasim_Stylezz (1 points ) December 30th, 2012

hi, guys about a couple of weeks ago, a dude fell of his bike really hard, and when i was picking up his bike, my foot touched its silencer for like a mini second and it got burned. Now its been a while but whats wrong is that the burnt area is not healing, I went to a doctor, he peeled off the skin on the burn and told me to use Silver Sulphadiazine ointment on it, i used it and then I saw a yellowish layer on my burn. I went to another doctor, he said keep it away from water and use the same ointment and keep it open. I did it for a week and it still didn’t heal, yesterday i went to another doctor and he said keep it covered, and keep washing it with water and soap. Now im confused what to do with it.
its just a thin yellowish layer and nothing else, no fever, no pain.
should i peel off that layer? If yes than how do i peel it off because it really hurts to peel it off.

Shippy's avatar

I really don’t know, but common sense would say no don’t peel it off, the body is trying to heal it. It could be that you need a medication to deal with an infection. I was looking at healing wounds quickly the other day (not burns), and it was suggested that, wash with soap and water, cover during the day (bacteria) and leave open at night.

cazzie's avatar

The yellow is like a dry scab? Don’t peel it off if it is dry. If it is oozing yellow/green puss and the surrounding skin is red and sensitive, it would more likely to be an infection. Scabs can be yellow. The brown in scabs are the red bloodcells that have clotted and are dried, but we also have lymph fluids and white blood cells that are responsible for fighting infections in our bodies. The fact that these fluids have shown up to the area and given it a dried covering is a good sign. I would keep the area clean and leave your shoe off when you can and if you aren’t a restless sleeper and there is no risk of ripping off the scab in your sleep, leave it uncovered as you sleep. (no socks to bed)

Is the burn on a part of your foot where the skin is very thin? I am suspecting this is the case, because the end stages of healing do rely on blood flow, and it may just be that, due to the location of the burn, it my take longer to heal. The lack of red blood cells in the scab sort of indicate this as well.

Healing times can vary with people, too. Age, diet, drinking and smoking habits all change our bodies ability to regenerate healthy cells. Here is a pretty good article about things you may want to know about your body’s ability to heal. http://emedicine.medscape.com/article/884594-overview