Shippy's avatar

Why are dreams so much more emotionaly charged than real life?

Asked by Shippy (9852 points ) January 8th, 2013

I woke up the other night, as an example, because I was having a dream about a few people who have recently died. They had come to visit. They were acting OK, but when I woke up I still had this horrible deep feeling in the pit of my stomach. It was sickly intense and scary. If I try to explain it, I almost cant find the correct words to do so. It is as though the feelings are multiplied a thousand times.

When I think of these things now, in the present, I don’t get those deep disturbing feelings. Are they all bottled up inside of me? If so am I operating from a base of deep dark horrible feelings? That I have harbored away. How do I cathart these feelings if they are?

I also wonder at the content of dreams, I had one particular dream that was so bizarre, so strange and completely out of my frame of reference. It was many years ago, and I was shocked to see almost a replica scene in the movie Hostel. Some 20 years before the Hostel movies existed. Any thoughts on all this?

nofurbelowsbatgirl's avatar

Here’s what I think, I believe that our dreams are an extension of our emotions. Certain emotions that maybe we can’t or don’t deal with when we are awake. Our dreams will deal with those emotions in the most rawest form, because our subconscious only knows how to deal with those stressors that way and the way when we are awake we can’t, won’t or don’t do.

Shippy's avatar

@nofurbelowsbatgirl I thought so too and it frightens me to think these feelings are somewhere inside of me. What kind of havoc would they cause in my life you know. Or anybody’s if they also experience this type of thing.

TheProfoundPorcupine's avatar

Maybe during the day we have a lot of different things polluting our mind so when dreaming we have the chance to process certain feelings that we have had to move into the background when awake. This might then mean we feel them more at that time because they are not watered down in any way.

Dreams can be activated by all sorts of repressed emotions and unresolved traumas to simply some meaningless data you picked up during your day, watching a movie, reading a book, etc. etc.
I am often a lucid dreamer and can tell myself in the midst of a dream that it is only a dream.
I can even feel pain in my dreams.
I dreamt the other night that a giant, creepy beetle bit my finger and it HURT!
I am still creeped out 3 days later. haha

Mine are not.

Pachy's avatar

@nofurbelowsbatgirl,I believe dreams are the brain’s way of allowing us to examine those feelings without acting on them and thereby remain sane.

RandomGirl's avatar

If the theory about “emotions that we don’t take care of during the day” is true, I must have some really weird emotions somewhere in my brain. I keep dreaming about decapitated heads. Four different dreams in the last month or two have had this recurring theme. All my dreams, for that matter, are horror/suspense movies. So disturbing.

nofurbelowsbatgirl's avatar

@Shippy Don’t be frightened hon, your brain in your dreams acts differently than what it does when you are awake.

I believe @Pachyderm_In_The_Room is along the right lines. Our imagination takes over in our dreams and some things in dreams are unachievable and you may only see such weird things in the movies anyways.

Sometimes dreams and real life do cross over like when you are in a deep sleep and you have too pee :/

Sometimes we have sleep disorders that mush awake and dreaming together. Like when I used to sleep eat :/ not fun but funny lol

When you are awake your morals kick in, and I’m sure that will stop you from acting out like you did in a dream, unless you have a mental disorder.

josie's avatar

I don’t know. Nothing really matters more than real life. Are you saying dreams are more significant than the real thing?