eddybear's avatar

I have had hives on my face for a few days (just face); they don't itch and all anyone sees is "texture" if looking closely. I haven't used any new products, etc. Benedryl did help but as it wears off they come back. I know it isn't shingles or any type of bites, as I have researched those. Anyone have any insight ? Thanks?

Asked by eddybear (4 points ) March 5th, 2013

Entire face, not just one side or one spot; i can feel them with my hand, but you can’t really see them, just looks like “texture” close up according to a friend. They don’t itch. From research I’ve done, i can tell it is not shingles, scabies or any kind of bites. Took benedryl last night and they got much smaller, but are still present. I don’t have insurance so I don’t want to go to the doctor since I know it isn’t one of the above that I ruled out. Anyone have any insight ? Thanks.

Have you started taking a med recently? Anything? Including Tylenol, prescriptions, anything at all?

Have you started using a new laundry detergent? Or, new pillow cases on your pillows?

Last questions…are you using a new shampoo and conditioner?

eddybear's avatar

nothing new at all… could be stress. but i read that actual hives only last for a matter of hours but i’m wondering if they are from stress would they stick around ?

Hives always either itch, burn or sting. If you have no sensation, then you need to look at other skin issues. They are often tricky to diagnose and to treat.

Have you checked out roseola, eczema, dermatographism or contact dermatitis?

Adirondackwannabe's avatar

@eddybear Have you recently changed makeup, facial cleanser, opened a new container or bar of soap, anything?

eddybear's avatar

no, i haven’t checked into those, but i will, thank you for giving me some things to look into. i haven’t changed ANYTHING / used ANYTHING NEW lately.
ALSO – there is no redness or anything and again, friends who look at my face close up say all they can see is “texture” but with my fingertips, feels like tiny bumps (they were bigger before the benedryl)

Adirondackwannabe's avatar

@eddybear Check the related questions. I sent you one of them.

The no redness is throwing me. If it spreads or sticks around for more than a few days probably go see a doctor. It doesn’t sound like hives. Hives you would feel happening. Little bumps can be from heat, but usually accompanied by redness when itis from that. Maybe it is from being dry? Totally guessing, let us know if you get an answer.

eddybear's avatar

yeah, i’m stumped. googled some stuff people suggested, but my symptoms don’t match up. since it’s already been several days, i’ll probably end up going to the doctor. thanks :)

Jeruba's avatar

Did the bumps appear suddenly, overnight, or come on gradually? Did they start in one place and then spread, or were they all over right from the first?

How old are you?

Maybe Molluscum Contagiosum? Or, some sort of wart? But, Benedryl would not help that.

eddybear's avatar

all over, all at once. the benedryl def helped; they’re still there but just tiny “heads” instead of large bumps

DigitalBlue's avatar

I get hives on my face if my skin gets too dry (I have very dry skin.) Usually in the winter, it comes on and looks almost like little pimples, but it is not acne. Sometimes they fade on their own in a few hours or sometimes I have to take an OTC antihistamine. You have already done that.
Are you sure that they are hives? Do you have dry skin or any other skin conditions?

Really, I wouldn’t worry about it unless it doesn’t go away, and then have a doctor check it out.

@DigitalBlue Me, too. Sometimes I’ll notice a little bump and if I scratch it turns into a few more bumps. I have to just leave them alone usually and they go away quickly.

DigitalBlue's avatar

@KNOWITALL yep! That happens to me, too!

@DigitalBlue My family has a lot of red hair, and my skin has to be moisturized regularly or it cracks. Must be it!