ScottyMcGeester's avatar

What is the most definitive version of the Gilgamesh epic one can buy?

Asked by ScottyMcGeester (1002 points ) February 28th, 2014

For a long time I wanted to read the epic. I bought the version by Herbet Mason from Mariner Books.

But then I get confused when I research more about the epic online and read parts I never came across.

In this version, the epic ends after Gilgamesh fails to obtain immortality and returns to his kingdom.

The ending pages from the author and whatever else mentions that there are more things but they excluded it from this version. So I was like, “Well fuck, I wish I had known that before I got this.”

From my understanding, the epic itself is fragmented, but I wanted to know if there’s a book version that has everything that has been deciphered.

1 Answer

Darth_Algar's avatar

As I understand the version by Andrew George, initially published by Oxford in 2003, is widely regarded as the most definitive translation in English.