antimatter's avatar

Any suggestions what exercises will help to get get fit?

Asked by antimatter (4266 points ) May 11th, 2014

I am forty and very unfit. Even got a little bit flabby around my upper body. I don’t have time to visit the gym so if there’s a few exercises I can do in about thirty minutes a day than that will help. Any good suggestions?

livelaughlove21's avatar

You can’t spot treat. If you’ve got excess fat, losing that fat is ideal. In order to lose fat, you need to eat at a reasonable caloric deficit. Exercise is great for your health, strength, and fitness level, but weight loss happens in the kitchen. People tend to think exercise burns way more calories than it actually does. You can run Forrest Gump style across the country, but if you’re not eating at a deficit, you won’t lose weight.

So, Google “TDEE Calculator,” put in your stats, subtract 20% from your TDEE, and eat that many calories to lose about a pound a week.

Now, I’m not discouraging exercise at all. I just want to emphasize your diet when it comes to losing fat. If you can’t get into a gym and can’t get equipment at home, there are plenty of exercises to do without equipment. If you enjoy cardio, there’s walking/jogging/running, swimming, aerobics, etc. There’s also things like yoga and Pilates if you’re into that. I am a huge advocate for resistance training, especially if this is about making your body look better. I’d invest in some dumbbells at least. Lifting heavy is best, but you’d need a barbell, bench, squat rack, etcetera. If you can’t get any equipment, you could always stick to body weight exercises like push-ups, squats, lunges, etc. I also recommend FitnessBlender.com for free exercise videos, as opposed for paying for something like P90X.

A Marathon every day.

livelaughlove21's avatar

@jaytkay I just did that 7-minute workout while my husband timed me. Intensity of 8 on a scale of 1–10? Puh! It was more like a 4 or 5 for me, putting maximum effort into it (no 10-second rest in between), and I’m no cardio bunny. It’s a fantastic set of moves to hit all major muscle groups, but I probably burned about 20 calories doing that. Woohoo – now I can have four pieces of sugar free gum! I’m reluctant to call anything done in 7 minutes a “workout.” Better than nothing, but not by much.

GloPro's avatar

Are you able to walk aroun the neighborhood once in the morning and once in the evening? Weather is getting nicer, and it would be a nice start.

18 months ago, I’d get breathless walking up a short slight hill or a long flight of stairs. This morning I ran 2.81 miles in 27 minutes 15 seconds.

To get there, I started by walking for 45 minutes, 5 times a week. Make it a priority, and it will fit in easily to your schedule. And you need to cut your caloric intake at the same time. I was eating about 1750 calories a day for a good nine months.

@livelaughlove21 If you are not doing the exercise at your intensity level of 8, you won’t et he benefit. But really, it does get your heart beat up and stresses your different muscle groups by high intensity intervals. It isn’t meant to be a calorie burner, it’s meant to get you fit.

Unbroken's avatar

Yeah just start by walking. Some tunes or stories or take an so or a date or a friend. You would be surprised at how little it takes to get on the way to fit.