Spargett's avatar

Has anyone ever heard of a Tongan Terrier?

Asked by Spargett (5353 points ) September 22nd, 2007

I recently watched a movie, “The Dog Problem”, in which the featured dog’s breed was referred to as “Tongan Terrier”.

I searched on the internet, but to no avail really. My girlfriend and I would love to get a breed like this, any info would be awesome. Below is a image of the dog if that helps.

scramblera's avatar

I watched the same movie and have to agree that the little guy is great. However I am fairly certain that there is no such breed and that he is in fact a cross breed of some type. In other words an adorable mutt. I would like to suggest that you research the Austrailan Terrier if you want a similar look and size. There are different types and sizes of this breed. The web site that is listed here has some great pictures of the little guys.

milesbrandon's avatar

We just watched the movie The Dog Problem as well, and I dont think there is such a breed. However, my wife and I bought a dog over a year ago that is a Papillon and Brustles Griffin Terrier. It looks very similar except our dog has a little longer hair. Our dog’s mom was the Papillon side. It’s a very cute dog. Good luck!

scamp's avatar

I just saw the movie last night, and found this place while doing a search on the brred. the dog looks exactly like my dog. I think if you look at border teriers, you will see the resemblance. that’s what I always thought my dog was.

scamp's avatar

You can find a pic of a border terrier here:

woof's avatar

I would like to know the heritage of this dog as well, I have the EXACT same dog in black.I looked at the border terrier pics and admit I do see a resemblance, but the info on the page said you have to watch how much you feed because they gain weight easily. I have been trying to fatten my dog for a YEAR and he will not gain one ounce. Maybe it is some type of cross but I have the Identical dog to the one in the movie in black . So if anyone comes up with an answer to this question please let me know.

jsabby's avatar

The dog looks looks (and probably is) a Border Terrier.

Raven_9's avatar

My dog looks like his brother. He is a half pomerian and half dauchshund actually. The tail is curled hence the pom and the loving eyes is the doxie. He is not yappy and very loving; also, people have thought he had terrier but he doesn’t.

ilikepie's avatar

there is no such thing as a tongan terrier,and i know cause i am tongan

ilikepie's avatar

(fyi)most people know the tongan race exist.its located in polenysia near samoa,and we go back to 1 of the oldest race

ilikepie's avatar

im mean DONT know srry it was a typo