deepseas72's avatar

Opinions on switch from Cymbalta to Celexa?

Asked by deepseas72 (1047 points ) May 30th, 2009

I have been on Cymbalta for about a year. It works well for me, but I can no longer afford it. My doctor is switching me over to Celexa, which sells for $4 at the pharmacies. What are your opinions about Celexa?

I tried it for several weeks and had no noticeable improvement and no noticeable side effects. Every body is different. I take a low dose of generic Zoloft, called Sertraline, which is also really cheap.

bea2345's avatar

@gailcalled – how are you managing on Sertraline? it is what the clinics here use and one of my relatives is doing well on it.

Fine. No problems. 50mg/daily I think (doing this from memory).

avvooooooo's avatar

It all depends on the way your individual body chemistry interacts. That’s why there are so many drugs out there that work, don’t work, kinda work but not really, and anywhere along the spectrum for individuals. I liked Wellbutrin myself for anxiety, but I’ve seen a lot of people on Celexa (mostly low income people which is why they choose that one to try first) who are doing ok to great on it. There’s really nothing you can do other than to give it a go for about two months and see what happens. Two months being time for the other drug to clear your system and Celexa maybe getting up and running. :)

DrC's avatar

Cymbalta works on both neurotransmitters – serotonin and norepinephrine, whereas Celexa just works on serotonin. Effexor is probably the closest to Cymbalta in its mechanism of action. The generic name for Effexor if venlafaxine. It’s been out long enough that I think you could get it for the same price as Celexa. That doesn’t mean that Celexa won’t work for you. It is a good medication that I have used with patients very successfully. But not everyone respond to the same medication the same way.