Send to a Friend

M1952's avatar

Can a judge force you to change your last name during divorce?

Asked by M1952 (301points) September 2nd, 2014 from iPhone

I have just started a new job, I have a social and all my credit cards, ect. Are in my married name, I was only married one year. My husband filed divorce, in the petition there is a question that says does the respondent wish to use or go back to their maiden name? (Or something like that) and my husband or his sister wrote my full name but with my maiden name so I am assuming he wants me to stop using my married name but in my response I requested to keep it, can a judge force me to change it and how can I convince the judge to let me keep it?

Using Fluther


Using Email

Separate multiple emails with commas.
We’ll only use these emails for this message.