General Question

Knitters: If I used a heavier weighted yarn, do I need to adjust me needle size to keep the work the same size?

Asked by Tennis5tar (1255 points ) November 11th, 2010

I’m knitting a hat and the pattern calls for DK but when I made it before I used chunky. Problem is, I made it about 3 years ago and cannot remember which sized needles I used.

Even looking through my needles I don’t seem to have any the right size/length.

The pattern calls for 4.5mm (size 7) 40cm circulars and 4.5mm double points. The largest double points I have are 3¼mm.

So if I am using a heavier wool, do I need to compensate with my needle size or will it just knit up thicker?

Observing members: 0 Composing members: 0

3 Answers

It will knit up somewhat larger, because the large yarn will sort of expand. But it will also knit up a lot tighter, and probably not have the same sort of drape and hang that the pattern writer intended. You could always make a little swatch to measure and see… ;)

Hurrah! I had a flashback and found my circular needles which are actually 4mm and have a third of a hat on them. Oops!

Thanks for the help @laureth

Always check the gauge. That will solve the problem of both yarn weight and needle-size. You knit a swatch and check the deviation. All patterns list the gauge measurements.

Answer this question

to answer.

This question is in the General Section. Responses must be helpful and on-topic.

Your answer will be saved while you login or join.

Have a question? Ask Fluther!

What do you know more about?
Knowledge Networking @ Fluther