Tennis5tar's avatar

Knitters: If I used a heavier weighted yarn, do I need to adjust me needle size to keep the work the same size?

Asked by Tennis5tar (1255 points ) November 11th, 2010

I’m knitting a hat and the pattern calls for DK but when I made it before I used chunky. Problem is, I made it about 3 years ago and cannot remember which sized needles I used.

Even looking through my needles I don’t seem to have any the right size/length.

The pattern calls for 4.5mm (size 7) 40cm circulars and 4.5mm double points. The largest double points I have are 3¼mm.

So if I am using a heavier wool, do I need to compensate with my needle size or will it just knit up thicker?

laureth's avatar

It will knit up somewhat larger, because the large yarn will sort of expand. But it will also knit up a lot tighter, and probably not have the same sort of drape and hang that the pattern writer intended. You could always make a little swatch to measure and see… ;)

Tennis5tar's avatar

Hurrah! I had a flashback and found my circular needles which are actually 4mm and have a third of a hat on them. Oops!

Thanks for the help @laureth

Always check the gauge. That will solve the problem of both yarn weight and needle-size. You knit a swatch and check the deviation. All patterns list the gauge measurements.