What flowers can I plant in my garden that will last all summer? (Cool climates, please.)
Every summer I vow to plant flowers and have a cottage garden. The summer gets here and I get busy and my garden is ignored. I’d like it to be different this year. Can you help with suggestions?
I live in the UK…rainy, damp and only a few weeks of heat during the summer. I really would love some colorful easy to grow perennials. I think of an old fashioned cottage garden with hollyhocks when I think of “cottage garden”. The areas I can use do get direct sunlight for part of the day. I know I want to plant some sunflowers for the bees and birds…as they loved the few stray ones that were in the garden last year.
1. Must live in damp clime.
2. Must attract the three “B“s…birds, butterflies, bees.
3. Must be easy to maintain/grow. (No super fussy plants).
4. Must be able to have some direct sunlight.
5. Must be colorful.
6. I’d like plants of different heights.
7. Must be fast growing…so I can enjoy the plants this year…not have to wait a few seasons!
Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
This question is in the General Section. Responses must be helpful and on-topic.