bucko's avatar

Did you thank God today?

Asked by bucko (648 points ) December 23rd, 2012

The other day I was stuck behind a lady in a slow moving Ford Contour (piece of junk) with a handicapped emblem hanging from the rearview mirror and a bumper sticker that read “Did you thank God Today”.

What could this woman possibly be thankful for?

LuckyGuy's avatar

Maybe she is happy she is on the top side of the snow (or grass).

I thank: my family, my friends, my doctor, the surgeon, the person who held the door for me when I had an arm full of packages, the guy that made space so I could merge into traffic, etc. I say thank you to people many times per day.
I have not said thank you to God since I was about 10.

FutureMemory's avatar

Did you thank God today?

No.

Response moderated (Personal Attack)
bucko's avatar

@cookieman I see the bumper sticker as an oxymoron.

@bucko Obviously she is thankful for the things she has and knows she could have even less.

Nah, nothing special. Same old stuff today. The deities haven’t been particularly good so far (or for that matter, particularly bad). Just an average day.

It’s like going to a restaurant. I give a good tip when the service is particularly good. No tip at all if the service sucks. Well, same with God. If he does something noteworthy, he gets thanked. Otherwise he’s just doing his job.

Hell no.

I thank the great white goose in the sky that all my little duckies are in a row.
I have grain in my silo, hay in my stall, and bread in my cupboard, and a couple more golden eggs in my bank account. The great gooswami has been good to me.

hearkat's avatar

I don’t believe in a deity, but I do practice gratitude in acknowledging and appreciating all the positives in my life.

whitenoise's avatar

Nope. What for? I thanked my wife and kids, though. :-)

Blondesjon's avatar

No, but I did tell him to pass on a Happy Birthday to that boy of his.

No.

The woman is probably poor, I would guess the poor are more likely to be religious.

I don’t thank God, but I am thankful. Thankful to have woken up without any pain next to my beautiful husband.

SuperMouse's avatar

I thank God (or my lucky stars, or the universe, or the great white goose, or whatever you want to call it) several times every day. I agree with @chyna perhaps this woman is happy with her life and her world and thanks God for what she does have. On a side note, my husband is quadriplegic and drives a not so new van with the little blue guy on the license plates, that man shows more gratitude than anyone I have ever known. Handicapped does not always equal miserable.

No. Perhaps, if nothing else, she is thrilled to have a vehicle that she can drive at any speed.

the poor are more likely to be religious . Double wow.

SavoirFaire's avatar

Perspective. She’s smart enough to realize that what we drive and what we cannot do only define our lives if we let them. Everyone’s car will break down. Everyone’s body will give out. Love of life, however, need not fade.

That God sent a black child to starve to death in Africa and not her own white western arse.

@gailcalled It is a fact that poor countries around the world are more religious than prosperous ones, with America being one of the anamolies. But, even within America generally the more religious have lower incomes, but I do not mean there is a direct causation, I am just talking stats and averages. A poor person is statistically more likely to be religious, but plenty of wealthy people are very religious. The OP said the car was a piece of jonk, so I assume in some disrepair. Certainly there are very wealthy people who buy modest cars and also keep their cars 10 years, so I am not assuming, just stating likelihoods.

When they look around the world there seems to be a correlation of religiousity and poverty, especially for the poor who feel very insecure in their circumstance.

In the US there are statistics that demonstrate religious affiliation, education, level and income, some of the stats are hard to ignore. It does not necessarily mean the religion promotes education and wealth, but it might also show that those attracted to particular religions are within the economic norms of that religion. i think that is seen more with religions that have small populations, while Catholics for example are such a large number that they have varying levels of religiousith, education and wealth, with Catholics having large numbers at all levels.

basstrom188's avatar

Definitely not

Nope, I thank fuck a lot though, as in…“thank fuck for xmas…etc!”
Seems a good thing to be grateful for anyway.

bookish1's avatar

Must feel awful nice not to be handicapped and poor, and to have someone to look down upon.

@bookish1 Is that aimed at me? I don’t look down on theists nor poor people nor people who drive old cars.

Sunny2's avatar

As @SavoirFaire said. Being grateful is a matter of perspective. Despite having problems, you can appreciate that you don’t have it worse than you do. That’s an important perspective to have if things are not perfect for you. I can’t personally thank God, but I am thankful. You’ve heard the saying, “I cried because I had no shoes and then I met a man who had no feet.” Or haven’t you?

Yep, a woman that was brutally raped should think “Thank God they did not kill me.”

tinyfaery's avatar

For what?

Yes, I did, for my kids. And for a general sense of gratitude for my life, despite the things in my life I don’t like.

bucko's avatar

I’m thankful I don’t drive a Ford Contour.

Brian1946's avatar

Perhaps the woman meant, “Have you thanked God today that you’re not me?”. ;-)

Response moderated (Personal Attack)
bucko's avatar

There’s no way that anyone else sees this black cloud of an automobile, slowly driving down the road, tapping the brakes at every intersection, and then thinks, “I bet this person has so much to thank god for”. Give me a break!

augustlan's avatar

Everyone has something to be thankful for. For many people, driving a shitty car is the least of their problems…and even they have other things to be thankful for. How hard is that to comprehend?

@bucko Why didn’t you just go over and spit on her for driving an old car and being old herself?~

Bellatrix's avatar

@bucko perhaps the person is just glad they have a car. The attitude you display in this post may be your take on seeing that vehicle and your judgement of the driver but clearly (and thankfully) not everyone feels the same way. You don’t know anything about that person or their life and yet you feel able to judge them. This post says much more about you than about the person driving that car.

bolwerk's avatar

I’ve formed the habit of cursing God when something bad happens to me that is beyond my control. That is the extent of our conversation!

Response moderated (Personal Attack)
bucko's avatar

@Bellatrix perhaps the Ford Contour is God’s vehicle of choose as well.

Bellatrix's avatar

I have no idea what a Ford Contour is and I am an atheist. I also don’t believe you have some divine right to judge other people on their choice of car. Really, walk a mile in their shoes before you judge.

Hawaii_Jake's avatar

@bucko What type of car do you drive? Is it paid for, or do you make regular payments? How much is your insurance premium? How far can you drive on a gallon of gas?

bucko's avatar

@Bellatrix Who doesn’t make assumptions about strangers? This one just happen to have a bumper sticker that contradicted her logic.

I just looked up the Ford Countour on wikipedia and it isn’t that bad, geesh. Looks like a basic American car from the 90’s, which is what it is.

@bucko Why do you assume she has nothing to be grateful for? I guess you assume she is poor, like I wrote above, but we really have no idea her circumstance. Her other car might be a Porsche 911 that is in the shop. And, not everything is money. She might have winderful friends and family and her health.

bucko's avatar

@JLeslie It’s not the 90’s anymore. This thing was horrible! And she was handicapped and sucked at driving. That would be like me thanking God for mosquitos.

@bucko: I assume you have a secure plan in place to not age and to surely not get ill or handicapped. Remember to patent it.

Hawaii_Jake's avatar

A sign should be posted here reading “Do not feed the troll”.

bolwerk's avatar

Car dependence is a curse, especially for the poor.

Bellatrix's avatar

@bucko, I don’t make the sort of assumptions you obviously do about strangers. All you saw was a bumper sticker, a handicapped tag and an old car. We have a very old car in our family. We use it for hauling the trailer to the tip. We also have a quite nice car.

Regardless of the car they drive, or their handicapped sticker in the window, who are you to ‘assume’ they have nothing to be thankful for? Have you never heard the phrase ‘never judge a book by its cover’? Or given this person was obviously religious ‘there but for the grace of god go I’?

@bucko What the hell does the handicap sticker have to do with it? My mom has a handicap portable tag, friends of mine have handicap stickers. There is a saying, don’t spit in the wind.

nofurbelowsbatgirl's avatar

WOW!! Happy Holidays!

Judge not lest ye be judged!

I thank God everyday, not for the type of car I drive, but the fact that I even have a car. I thank God for my strength, my compassion..and so on. I think the word dis ability is used in the wrong context, many times in my life I have seen many people use their dis abilities with a strength that cannot be used by a regular able bodied person. I’ve seen blind people who you would never know are blind, and their other senses are impeccable…I don’t think that is a “disability” I think that is super. I am a dis abled person and I thank God ever day for all he has given me, NOT WHAT HE HASN’T GIVEN ME.

SELFISH MUCH?

Response moderated (Personal Attack)
Response moderated
bolwerk's avatar

“The unexamined life is not worth living” – Socrates

@nofurbelowsbatgirl: I don’t know where you even get the idea one way or another that you believe in God. I assure you I couldn’t care less.

OMG this is about some nut job that is commenting on an elderly handicapped woman driving an old car. I hope none of you making disparaging remarks about sick elderly people have to live that way or have a loved one that does.

Hawaii_Jake's avatar

@chyna, be careful who you call a “nut job.” I used the word “schmuck” and it was removed.

I heartily apologize for it, too. ~

nofurbelowsbatgirl's avatar

Whatever. @bolwerk don’t mention my name then if you don’t care.

Hawaii_Jake's avatar

This is for all those who think persons with disabilities should remain silent or not drive or not have handicap emblems.

cookieman's avatar

And to think, I got modded for “schmuck”.

How ‘bout “schmoo”? Would “schmoo” been okay?

And @nofurbelowsbatgirl and @bolwerk: Get a room already.

bolwerk's avatar

@cookieman: @nofurbelowsbatgirl wouldn’t go for it. Pity too, ‘cause she is sooooo sexy. :(

Hawaii_Jake's avatar

@cookieman I was wondering about “putz”.

cookieman's avatar

@Hawaii_Jake: “Putz”. Putz is good. Which brings to mind “yutz”.

Or, we could steer into my neck of the woods and go with “mamaluke” or “gavone”.

And @bolwerk, Here, I think you dropped this: ~

Putz is the same as schmuck. Come on now. However, most people don’t know the real meaning.

Hawaii_Jake's avatar

@cookieman I see your “mamaluke” and raise you a Hawaiian “kolohe.”

@cookieman Seriously tell the difference? What they mean?

bolwerk's avatar

A putz is more an imbecile. A schmuck is more like calling someone a dick (it literally meant “penis” in Yiddish I think), perhaps with more of a moral connotation, though it could mean imbecile too.

They both mean penis.

Putz is used more like calling someone a prick or asshole. While schmuck is more like an idiot, or can be used when having some empathy for the poor schlub, as in that poor schmuck doesn’t know what he has gotten himself into. At least in NY. It probably varies a little, especially now that the goys are using the words. LOL.

bookish1's avatar

@JLeslie: I’m responding late, but no, I was not thinking of you when I wrote that.

cookieman's avatar

@Hawaii_Jake: I like “kolohe”, but it seems a little mild in this instance. See, the mamaluke of an OP thinks this poor old lady is a strunz just on account of her bumper sticker and handicapped placard. Not kosher.

@JLeslie and @bolwerk: Thank you for the clarification.

Schmuck it is then.

I did thank my husband today, and he sort of has a God complex, maybe that counts.

Hawaii_Jake's avatar

Let’s all raise a glass of Xmas cheer to @JLeslie‘s husband! ;-)

blueiiznh's avatar

Thankful that she was in front of you…

Symbeline's avatar

Can’t say I have. I don’t believe in God. But I’m still thankful for a lot of things. if God is out there, He knows how I feel.