Has anyone bought from Great Courses? Are they any good?

Asked by elbanditoroso (18078 points ) May 12th, 2014

This isn’t spam – this is a real question.

In today’s mail there was a course catalog from Great Courses. They sell self-paced learning CDs and DVDs on a variety of subjects – everything from religion to photography to astronomy.

The professors (speakers) appear to be of reasonable stature—I’ve heard or read of several of the presenters.

My question: are these courses any good? meaning: well organized, in that they present what they say? Comprehensive?

Any comments, positive or negative, would be appreciated.

[For what it’s worth, I’m considering the course called “Think Like an Economist”]

tedibear's avatar

I have not. However, a good friend whose judgment I trust, has ordered three or four courses from them and found them to be excellent. I would say that based on his opinion, the courses meet your criteria.

My wife needed to get an understanding of some mathematics for work, got the course for her and week later she had a complete understanding.

thank you @Tropical_Willie and @tedibear – that makes the choice from me. I’m going to order the course.