ScottyMcGeester's avatar

Is there anything I can do for my laptop battery?

Asked by ScottyMcGeester (1014 points ) July 25th, 2014

I have a Samsung QX411-W02UB. Had it since late 2012.

I loved the long battery life in the beginning but then I noticed a decline. Now, the decline in battery life is so obvious that I feel like something’s wrong with it, or at least something is wrong with how my laptop is estimating my battery life.

I tried calibrating it. Letting it die and then charging all the way and then seeing if it estimates the battery life better. It doesn’t. It falls rapidly. In the span of like barely 10 minutes it says it’s 75% then 60% and literally right now in the time it took me to start this post and type here it went down to 55%.

BUT THEN. It goes back up a little bit. The percentage keeps dropping but the estimation in remaining time keeps shifting up and down. It’s all very confusing.

The thing that sucks about this laptop is that you can’t remove the battery.

I have no effing idea why I made this choice to begin with when I got this. I must have not been paying attention.

XOIIO's avatar

Wow, non removable batteries, at least for the average consumer? What a scumbag move.

ARE_you_kidding_me's avatar

These integrated batteries are a total dick move to get people to replace their hardware every few years. If you are even the slightest bit mechanically inclined you can simply change it. I have done macs, iphones & ipads without issue. In the future try not to let the batteries discharge all the way. LI batteries have a finite amount of charge-discharge cycles. It’s best to keep them on the charger when you are using them if it is convenient to do so.

RocketGuy's avatar

Integrated battery makes for a lightweight laptop.

XOIIO's avatar

@RocketGuy Not much difference between having the same size battery hidden inside, or give it a bit of plastic and a slot like most manufacturers.

jerv's avatar

Lithium batteries degrade with exposure to oxygen. They degrade far faster as higher temperatures; the temperature inside a car in the summer will knock about 50% off it’s capacity in 2 months. Under average use, figure 2–3 years before it’s down to half though.

Integrated batteries don’t require the release mechanism or added bulk and cost associated with allowing r-battery removal, and (the ultimate concern of Apple fanatics) they look better as there’s no cracks in the case; it looks smoother.

That battery cannot be saved; it must be replaced. There’s people with the skills to do that if you can’t.