General Question

arcoarena's avatar

How do I know if mushrooms have gone bad?

Asked by arcoarena (687 points ) September 16th, 2008

I bought 1/4 ounce of psychedelic mushrooms 2 months ago and never ate them. They are not in a humidor or even an airtight container for that matter. They are sitting in a bag tightly wrapped up.

I was planning on eating them soon but I was not sure if this was a bad idea. Does anyone have any idea what the life expectancy is?

I figure the worst that will happen is that they will have no effect on me or make my stomach ill but I’m not a big mushroom eater this will only be the 3rd time I’ve eaten them. They are dried so I figure that should allow them to last a while but they have definitely gotten harder since I bought them. How long do I have??

Observing members: 0 Composing members: 0

20 Answers

poofandmook's avatar

eating psychadelic mushrooms is a bad idea, period. Since you asked.

PupnTaco's avatar

The worst that can happen is they’re not what you think they are and you ingest a toxic amount.

I don’t think dried mushrooms in general go stale all that fast. I have some dried crimini and shiitake I use that hold their flavor very well.

marinelife's avatar

If they statrt stealing things, they have definitely turned.

El_Cadejo's avatar

Were they dried to begin with? If so your fine. Enjoy your trip ^_^.

Since your still new to it, i wouldnt eat the whole quarter, eat half of it. And go for a nice nature walk at night or something, youll love it.

bodyhead's avatar

If they’re dried they’ll easily keep for months. Next time, if you want to ensure max freshness, I would suggest putting them in a freezer bag in the fridge (freezer).

arcoarena's avatar

yeah they were dried to begin with. I was planning on eating half and giving half to a friend to eat with me so thanks!

I ate a 3.5 gram chocolate bar at AllGood festival in july and it was absolutely amazing. I’ve just been waiting for the right time where I can eat them during the day and just do something awesome lol

PupnTaco's avatar

Remember set and setting – you must be in a good headspace personally, not stressed about anything. You must be with good, trustworthy people who are the same way. You must be in a healthy, interesting, safe environment.

El_Cadejo's avatar

I couldnt agree more with what dave says, dont just take them because you want to, wait for a really good time, it will make the experience much much better.

arcoarena's avatar

Thanks guys! that’s pretty much the reason they’ve been sitting in my drawer for two months haha. I’ve had plenty of opportunities to do ‘em with people I enjoy but I’ve just been waiting for a great and planned time. I was thinking either at a jam-rock concert or something in the woods maybe. :)

El_Cadejo's avatar

if you havent done it out in the woods yet, go for it. Its by far my favorite setting for mushrooms.

bodyhead's avatar

Just remember, psychedelics and guns don’t mix. I girl I know of got shot in the arm once when a tweaker got a little too freaked out on shrooms. The fella with the rifle was just sitting in a rocking chair and then he would twitch and shoot. He got tackled after the girl got shot. He actually shot through a wall and hit her. Give your guns to family members for safekeeping when you eat your mushrooms.

El_Cadejo's avatar

jesus christ who the fuck plays with guns on shrooms…thats just asking for trouble.

bodyhead's avatar

Yea, well, I’m in Tennessee. I take no responsibility for the actions of those who surround me. I’ve seen stupider stuff go down. Trust me.

arcoarena's avatar

woooow. that is intense.

Definitely keeping my guns at home when I go out trippin’ balls lol

charliecompany34's avatar

when they are wet and slimy to touch.

AstroChuck's avatar

If you die, they’re probably bad.

MarcIsMyHero's avatar

If they are dry the should be good to go. I always like to look at psychadelics as a controlled poisoning of the system in order to achieve a higher state of consciousness. That mental preparation helps with any of the uncomfortable feelings or stomache aches that sometimes accompany the onset of hallucinogens.
My personal rules:
1. Be in a safe place (inside, outside, nature or city doesn’t matter)
2. Be with people you trust- very important once you are in an impaired (or enlightened) state.
3. No guns, no knives, no fire!
3a. If in a city : no rooftops
4. If it gets too intense, remember YOU ARE ON DRUGS! It will pass. If you don’t feel comfortable or safe, go someplace that comforts you. If someone is around you that is tainting your experience, it’s okay to step away.

Be safe and have a blast. The best trips I have ever had were the closest I’ve come to a religious experience. Hallucinagens can be a shortcut to enlightenment. But use with caution and don’t abuse their power. You are still responsible for your actions while under the influence. Both morally and legally. No excuses.

ezraglenn's avatar

As with many psychoactive substances, the effects of psychedelic mushrooms are subjective and unpredictable. A common misconception, even seen in the professional environment, is that the effects experienced from psilocybin are due to a poisonous nature of the compound, yet the National Institute for Occupational Safety and Health, a branch of the Center for Disease Control, rated psilocybin less toxic than aspirin. The intoxicating effects of psilocybin-containing mushrooms typically last anywhere from 3 to 7 hours depending on dosage, preparation method and personal metabolism.

-wikipedia

El_Cadejo's avatar

w00000 just ate a bunch of mushies at a music festival last weekend and watched some sweet bands.

Ever end up taking yours arcoarena, if so howd it go?

careerbassmaster's avatar

You didnt share

Answer this question

Login

or

Join

to answer.

This question is in the General Section. Responses must be helpful and on-topic.

Your answer will be saved while you login or join.

Have a question? Ask Fluther!

What do you know more about?
or
Knowledge Networking @ Fluther