Trance24's avatar

Where did the saying "Spit spot" come from?

Asked by Trance24 (3289 points ) January 2nd, 2009

Mary Popins says it a lot in the movie, but I have herd it other places. I know what it means but was curious where it came from. Any ideas?

scamp's avatar

I’ve never heard it outside of the Mary Poppins movie.

Trance24's avatar

@bythebay – you do not need to tell me what I already know. It was not originally formed there contrary to common/ urban dictionary belief. My Great-grand mother used to use the phrase long before Marry Poppins ever existed. So I am trying to figure out the true roots of it, and why the phrase is used as such.

bythebay's avatar

@Trance24: How in the world am I supposed to guess at what you already know? Nowhere in your question did you mention that you had heard it PRIOR to the movie. Did your Great-Grandmother carry a magic carpet bag and slide down banisters, too? Sorry for offending your sensibilities.

Trance24's avatar

Excuse me if I came off rude bythebay that was no my intention. Your retaliation in insulting my great-grand mother however was kind of uncalled for.

nebule's avatar

fwiw i was going to say mary poppins too eek