The_Compassionate_Heretic's avatar

If people with Doctorate degrees are called "Doctor", why aren't people with Masters' degrees called "Master"?

Asked by The_Compassionate_Heretic (14548 points ) November 2nd, 2009

In some ways, having the “Master” title might be more awesome than being called “Doctor”.
“Hello, I’m Master Jackson. Pleased to meet you.”
It’s almost like being a Jedi.

simone54's avatar

Call yourself what ever you want.

SpatzieLover's avatar

You already were a Master, before you were a Mister.

SpatzieLover's avatar

If I were a guy, I wouldn’t want the negative connotation of the word “Master” thrown around lightly for a college degree.

cyn's avatar

@SpatzieLover Alphabetically-yeah

nxknxk's avatar

I’d prefer the Latin Magister. Though it has nothing to do with magic I’d feel very wizardly being called something like that.

holden's avatar

Imagine: A white college professor walks into a classroom at a prestigious, historically African-American university…
“Hello students, I’m professor John Doe. But you can call me Master Doe. Hahahaha!”

SpatzieLover's avatar

Master@holden That’s why I made the second post ;)

cyn's avatar

@holden ROTFFLMFAOOL4RL

Sarcasm's avatar

@cyndihugs The term for an unmarried man is “Master”, like the term for an unmarried woman is “Miss”. Nothin’ to do with alphabets

I don’t know. But I just now realized that The Doctor‘s mortal enemy is The Master.

SpatzieLover's avatar

@Sarcasm it’s usually unmarried and young child…it’s under 12 or 13 for etiquette on letters.

The_Compassionate_Heretic's avatar

@holden Ok, you have a point. That’s not so good.
@Sarcasm OK, you get mad lurve for Dr. Who.

cyn's avatar

@Sarcasm In the dictionary, master comes before mister.
@The_Compassionate_Heretic “Compassionate, I am your master.” ;)

evegrimm's avatar

It would be bad for the family I knew, all boys, with the last name “Bates”.

Yes, I was an immature high school student.

But seriously, I’ve always felt that you get a special title for completing a doctoral degree because it’s a tonne of work. Masters degrees are lots of work, true, but doctoral degrees are even more work. My two cents.

nxknxk's avatar

@evegrimm

GA for the lowbrow humor!

Dog's avatar

Awesome Question!

ratboy's avatar

In the dungeon, my SO addresses me as “Master” or else it gets the hose again.

cyndyh's avatar

I have a Masters’ Degree. Does that make me a Mistress? Hmmm Not sure if that’s any better.

blueknight73's avatar

my wife had a doctorate, and HATES to be called doctor. she would just rather be called her name

hug_of_war's avatar

Docctorate degrees require so much work and dedication and while master’s degree require work, it’s nothing compared to a doctorate, and tons and tons of people have master’s, so I just think a doctorate gets a special distinction because it is speciall

dpworkin's avatar

Master already has meaning: it is an heir to an estate who has not yet reached the age of majority.

@evegrimm Stole my answer. I was an immature high school studnet once too – even though it was a long, long time ago.

BraveWarrior's avatar

@Sarcasm That was my first thought, too, being a Dr. Who fan.