missjena's avatar

How long is too long for heart palpitations to last?

Asked by missjena (905 points ) January 12th, 2010 from iPhone

I’m making an appointment tomorrow but I’ve had an EKG and echocardiogram a year ago. I’m going to need a 24 hour heart monitor. I have a question. I can’t find the answer online. How long do benign heart palpitations last? Since mine last for almost 11 straight hours does that mean it’s not a benign conditiion? I can’t get rid of them and it prevents me from sleep. Help!

robaccus's avatar

About seventy five years is normal.

missjena's avatar

I’m serious and now I have left sided chest pain. After a severe bout of palpitations can chest pain occur? Is it serious?

lordvader's avatar

I think any felt palpitation should be looked into. I have palpitations and it is my heart’s way of telling me there is a problem. Better safe than sorry! Good luck to you.

missjena's avatar

I’m making an appointment today but can this severe case be stress related?

@missjena Yes, it could be stress related, but with chest pains and long-lasting palpitations, you need to be seen right away.

If it does turn out to be stress related, consider getting an SSRI (anti-anxiety medication), which can really cut down on stress reactions going to your heart.

Please let us know what the doctor says.

missjena's avatar

Well I had an EKG and echocardiogram today and they were both normal. I am now attached to a heart monitor and of course my palpitations arent occuring! Ugh

bitter_sweet_rose's avatar

i had an echo scan waiting on results and blood work palpotations only acurr when i get dizzy idk why yet.