beachwriter's avatar

What is the most charming village in the Dordogne (nearest airport Bordeaux) and what's the best site for holiday rentals?

Asked by beachwriter (360 points ) March 22nd, 2010

For an upcoming trip, I am landing in Bordeaux and would like to spend a week exploring the Dordogne. Would love suggestions for villages and rentals. Thanks.

Oh there are so, so many – you can’t really go wrong. However, my very favorite village in that region is Ste. Cirq la Popie. It is actually in the Lot valley so a little ways from Bordeaux, but is a magical medieval village high on the cliffs overlooking the Lot valley. There are art galleries and a few restaurants, great hiking and the ruins of an ancient fort to climb on. Nearer to Bordeaux. there is St. Emilion, the wine center. It is a larger town, very beautiful, with lots of shops, wineries and restaurants; also medieval ruins. Two other great towns in the Dordogne region are Sarlat le Canada, fairly large and very beautiful, and Domme, a bastide or fortified town on a cliff. Sarlat has a great open-air market on Wednesdays and Saturdays; Domme would be nice for a day or afternoon. I have been to France many, many times and the Dordogne is my absolute favorite region. Try to schedule a visit to one of the prehistoric caves; Lascaux II is a replica but still beautiful and worth seeing. If you’re into kayaking or canoing , there are rental places on the Vezere river. Bon vacance!