mrrich724's avatar

If I move out of California, do I need to update the CA DMV?

Asked by mrrich724 (8522 points ) June 20th, 2010

I moved out of California. I already have my new state’s Driver License. Do I need to notify the CA DMV of the change, or can I just sigh relief and shred the old CA D.L.?

john65pennington's avatar

If you moved out of California and to a different state, the new state will require you to have your vehicle registered there and not in California. most states allow thirty days for this transitition. your drivers license will be automatically retired from California and obsolete, once you apply for the new states drivers license. you can thank computers and Registry Clerks for this.

mrrich724's avatar

The problem is this, for some reason I checked my Florida DL on the FL DMV website, and it never went inactive when I left FL two years ago. To Florida, it’s as if I never left.

So I just ordered a replacement DL card. So I doubt the FL DMV is going to do anything b/c it appears it’s as if I never left… even though when I got to CA I got their driver license.

SmoothEmeraldOasis's avatar

I moved out of california more than 30 years ago and Oregon’s system then quickly found me in the California system, there must be a glitch in the florida system or simply it was human error.