General Question

redhen4's avatar

Small dog swallowed small chicken bone-now what?

Asked by redhen4 (490 points ) September 27th, 2010

My doxi/chi mix dog grabbed a piece of chicken that was attached to a 1–½” x 1/8” bone. Swallowed it whole. Been 4 days now. Is it possible he’s passed it, or is it still inside him? He still acts ok.

Observing members: 0 Composing members: 0

6 Answers

marinelife's avatar

You should have been searching his poop. He is digesting it hopefully. Did it have a sharp end?

To make sure, you would have to take him to the Vet and have x-rays done. If it was me I would watch for other symptoms before doing that,

Otto_King's avatar

Dogs can easily digest bones. The critical part with chicken bone is the swallowing process. When it’s in the stomach, there is no point to worry.

Blueroses's avatar

If there is a blockage problem, you likely would have seen vomiting/diarrhea and inability to keep down food or water. If your little guy is behaving normally, has a healthy appetite and regular activity level, he got away with it this time.

downtide's avatar

If its been 4 days and he’s still eating and pooping normally then he’s fine.

rooeytoo's avatar

You didn’t say if it was raw or cooked, raw chicken bones are fine, cooked can be problematic. Although there are lots of dogs in this world who live on a steady of anything they can forage including cooked bones. The main thing is that if 4 days have passed with no sign of trouble, it has been digested and is now fertilizing your lawn.

Mom2BDec2010's avatar

I think your dog will be fine. It’s the swallowing part that is most dangerous to them cause they can easily choke on the small bones.

Answer this question

Login

or

Join

to answer.

This question is in the General Section. Responses must be helpful and on-topic.

Your answer will be saved while you login or join.

Have a question? Ask Fluther!

What do you know more about?
or
Knowledge Networking @ Fluther