Social Question

ZEPHYRA's avatar

Have you ever felt so low, I really mean so low that you considered yourself to be wasting the space you are occupying? I think it is not simply a case of low self-esteem:?

Asked by ZEPHYRA (20840points) March 21st, 2011

A person who feels suicidal, as low as dirt and is unexplainably depressed. What can we do to help out? She has been on anti-depressants for a couple of years. Fluctuating moods, a few smoothish points but more of them have been very low?

I really don’t think it would help to speak to a professional again. Do you think it is a passing phase or will it get worse?

Observing members: 0 Composing members: 0

6 Answers

MyNewtBoobs's avatar

We probably can’t help any more than a professional can. I would suggest trying a different professional – therapists are like sex partners; some are really good, some are really bad, lots are ok, and there are tons of different approaches. I would also suggest trying different meds. If she’s suicidal, and it isn’t situational, then things almost definitely won’t just get better – and at two years, this isn’t a phase, but rather affecting her permanent brain chemistry.

BarnacleBill's avatar

For some people, anti-depressants need to be changed after awhile. Please see your doctor, this is what’s happening.

augustlan's avatar

Definitely look into changing the meds and trying a different therapist. One size definitely does not fit all.

Hawaii_Jake's avatar

I have to add my voice to those saying see another psychiatrist and a new therapist. Talk to the psychiatrist squarely about what’s going on. Make sure the doctor understands that the patient is suicidal. Be sure the doctor understands that the depression is long lasting and not responsive to the medication at present.

Good luck.

marinelife's avatar

It sounds like her meds are not working well or sufficiently. It sounds like clinical depression.

A professional is exactly who she needs to see to evaluate her status and to correct her medication.

stardust's avatar

I fully agree with seeing another psychiatrist or therapist. Finding the right person to work with can be the changing point for people. Perhaps a change of anti-depressants is necessary too.

Answer this question




to answer.
Your answer will be saved while you login or join.

Have a question? Ask Fluther!

What do you know more about?
Knowledge Networking @ Fluther