Anatelostaxus's avatar

All greens in the kitchen - together, or not?

Asked by Anatelostaxus (1423 points ) January 18th, 2012

What is an ideal arrangement for the vegetables and fruit on the counter.
Just this morning (when I found the mouldy orange of my other question), I arranged the older and fresher vegs and fruit on a small wooden table, divided in baskets.
I remembered having seen on the net a recent design of racks that enhances the longevity of vegetables, using specific combinations of proximity and with an addition of sand (...?...) to one or two things.
I believe there is a way.. several ways to keep greens fresher for longer lengths of time in the kitchen.

Therefore: What should go next to what; and what shouldn’t?

Does anyone know what design I’m talking about? I think it’s by a Korean designer.

To answer your question, this link has a list of ethylene producing and ethylene sensitive fruits and veggies. The ethylene gas is what causes fruits and veg to ripen and eventually become rotten.

I keep pretty much all vegetables in the fridge. Some fruits I leave on the counter for a a day or so if they need to ripen a little more, but eventually it all winds up in the fridgeif I have not eaten it in a day or so. Some fruits don’t do well in the fridge if they are in there for a long time, changing the fruits texture or flavor, but things like apples and citrus do very well, I put both in the fridge straight away. I even keep my bananas in the fridge once they get just past green, because I hate them overripe. Do you live in a cool climate that it is customary to leave produce out rather than refridgerated?

Earthgirl's avatar

Thanks for asking this question because I have been thinking about it but never got around to looking into the right way to do things!

I think this must be the storage racks you were talking about. The designer is in fact, Korean.

I also found this cool Blue apple gadget that absorbs Ethylene gas.

This article talks about micro-climates in your refrigerator and where is the best area of the fridge to store each type of fruit or vegetable.

Green bags are easy to get too and are supposed to work well by eliminating the ethylene gas buildup.

Anatelostaxus's avatar

@JLeslie Yes, I do. Especially during the winter we leave even dairy out of the fridge. We do not use the fridge very much, as a matter of fact. We do use a freezer to store goods long term.

@Earthgirl Thank you very much for the useful links. Seems we have this very specific interest in common, then, huh?
:-) Cheers and good luck to you both with your storing! Wish some to me too!

Earthgirl's avatar

Anatelostaxus Your welcome! Wish I could have found a place that sells storage made especially for this kind of thing. If I find anything good I will post it or PM you. Good luck with your vegetable/fruit life extension systems!!

lifeflame's avatar

@Earthgirl I gotta send these links to my roommate.

Earthgirl's avatar

lifeflame I had no idea that the correct storage was so specific! No wonder my vegetables go bad so fast. It’s terrible because I need to eat more fresh vegetables and it discourages me from buying them. I need to reorganize my refrigerator now and buy myself a blue apple!