tdmckee's avatar

Do any phone carriers offer prepaid micro-SIM cards for unlocked iphone 4 / 4s? Or am I stuck with $50+/month data plans?

Asked by tdmckee (4 points ) February 4th, 2012

I’m just curious what the purpose of buying an unlocked iphone 4 is if I still have to go through the carriers to get the “phone” part to work. I’ve done pretty well with a iphone 3G / 3GS just using a prepaid SIM card for phone, and wifi for data. I’d like to continue, but understand the 4 /4S now use a micro-SIM, just curious if anyone has any experience with getting micro-SIM’s from cell carriers for prepaid use. Alternatively, if there are any reasonable cell/data plans for iphones, I’m all ears.

jrpowell's avatar

This looks scary but it might be worth a try.

delirial's avatar

I’d suggest using a micro-sim cutter (can be had for a few bucks on ebay). It’s a lot more effective, and a smaller risk, than trying to cut it yourself. Some include adapters that would allow you to use you micro-sim card on a regular card slot. So, you can switch back and forth.